3.5 and no where near potty trained! HELP!!

My son is 3.5 years old and knows what the potty is, what it's for and has even sat on it and "pee'd" a few times! He doesn't understand "tell mommy BEFORE you have to go to go" so please someone tell me how I can get him over the hurdle and on to using the pottie!

Thanx in advance for all your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You mention that you're waiting for him to tel you when he has to go, sounds to me like you just need to make sure you're taking him on a regular basis. He may not yet really know when he has to go. I'm hardly the voice of an expert as we're just now working on potty training with our almost 3 yr old. One piece of advice I was giving, put regular underwear on first then a pullup. That way the child feels wet but you limit the mess... Whatever you do, don't spank. that just isn't going to help!
    Anonymous

• let him take it on his own time. don't push him or you will not succeed. both of my older boys didn't get the concept throughly until right after they turned 4. just take it in stride. keep offering him incentive(stickers, candy,coins,etc) and asking & trying to go.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Kiwi really wanted to go to school, so we told her we would take her to sign up for preschool when she turned 3, but she had to be wearing panties and using the potty first because diapers weren't allowed at school. She understood and about 4 months before she turned 3, she woke up from nap time dry and went pee in the potty. She threw her diaper away, put on some new panties, and hasn't looked back since. She got the potty chair for her first birthday and we made sure she knew what it was for and how to use it. Just give him time, let him do it when he's ready. Try saying he can do something special like a visit to chuck-e-cheese or something he may like when he goes a week or two or something using the potty without any accidents.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• during the day have him wear big boy underwear, and at night have him in training pants. so maybe if he wets those he might feel uncomfortable and start using the potty.good luck:)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I see this question a lot and am struck by how difficult potty training has become today as compared to 30 years ago when I was doing it with my children. I have come to believe that there is a connection between potty training and the new concept of discipline in other areas. We spanked our children early on for acts of disobedience and disrespect, so our word sort of became law when they were very little. So when it was time to potty train, we looked at them and knew they were ready and said it was time to start acting like big people and using the bathroom. Because they had been taught to believe their parents actually knew what they were talking about, they just started going to the potty. We did have problems with our middle child who was extremely strong-willed. I had made a rule that I would never spank a child for potty-related incidents. She made me have to break my own rule, but I only had to spank her once.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:40 AM on Feb. 1, 2010