How can i brack my 17 month old from bottle at bed time

Ok my son is 17 months old he is useing a sip cup during the day but i cant seem to get him to sleep at night unless me or my husband gives him a bottle we tryed a couple of nights ago to put him to bed without the bottle and he kept the hole house up lol and when he did go to sleep he woke up 6 hours later and it was hard puting him back to sleep hope someone can help thanks

kat9308

Asked by kat9308 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We did it a little earlier than 17 months, but maybe this could still work for you. Make sure you already have a very consistent bedtime routine in place... for us it was clean-up time, bath, jammies, brush teeth, books, lights out, milk until sleep (we'd try to wipe her teeth down again, but it didn't work well which is why we wanted to change). Then one day, we offered the bottle of milk downstairs right after clean-up, before going up for her bath. We explained to her that this was her goodnight milk. Then we went through the routine as usual, but when we got to the time she usually had milk, she was asking for it. We told her, "remember, you had your milk downstairs." Instead, we sang a few songs in the dark and put her to bed. It worked for us from day 1. With my second daughter she was still breastfeeding when we did it... I just started nursing her upstairs before we read books so that she would go to sleep without it
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2010