How do I keep my 2-year old from waking up in the middle of the night?

My 2 year old son usually goes to bed between 8-9pm. It has gotten to the point that we have to just let him go until he asks to go night-night. Even then, 3-4 times a week he is up in the middle of the night, usually around 3-4 am, raring to go. How do I get him to stay asleep all night or even stay in his own bed?

miss_tricialynn

Asked by miss_tricialynn at 2:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't talk to him, just consistently keep laying him down in his bed. He won't like it very much, but children need consistency. He's going to bed pretty late IMO, that could have something to do with it as well. He may be over-stimulated when he goes to bed and can't fall into a deep sleep. Try doing a wind-down routine before bed. A bath, a story, some milk, and lay him down. If you get and keep him on a schedule, he should adjust to it. Good luck.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Start keeping him up longer during the day make sure you are feeding a dinner about 6 pm and then bathe him late to make him relax do not give in during the day for him crying to be put down only let him take a noon nap only for 2 hours or so it should work ok
    angel3109

Answer by angel3109 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• does he still take a nap? he might not need one anymore. sad to say that my daughter stopped taking naps around two. her older sister took naps till she was almost 4. different kids have different needs. i agree that i would ignore him when he wakes you up in the morning and put him back to bed. my kids all don't wake up berfore 8am because i'm not a morning person and i taught them to stay in bed until then.
    kidlover2

Answer by kidlover2 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I would try putting him to bed earlier. Sometimes the overtired ones are the ones who sleep poorly, i.e. wake up ready to go, etc. We had been on 8-9 bedtime, but recently moved it to 7:30 and made sure to keep the wind-down routine VERY consistent... it has worked wonders for their sleep.
    Anonymous

• Can't speak from personal experience, but I've been reading a couple books by pediatric sleep specialists who basically agree with PP: put him to bed earlier. For some reason, kids do best when they go to bed quite early, and they actually sleep longer. It sounds strange, but apparently if they're overtired they don't get as good of sleep. Read "healthy sleep habits, happy child". Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 3:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2010