School lunch menu?

Our kids have a TON of choices. Is this because we are at a good school or is this 'normal'
Todays menu: Choose an entree, 2 sides and a milk.
mini burger's
fishy stix
veggie burger delux
fantastic sub
sides:
super salad
frozen juice bar
fantastic french fries
apple grins
yum yum cookies. (they are some kind of oatmeal/granola things)

chocolate, strawberry or white milk

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think the lunches at my kids school(s) are really good! They have a choice of 3 entrees (one of those being vegetarian) or a salad, they get 2 sides out of 4-5 choices, and milk (choco, sberry, or white). And I've eaten there - I think it tastes good too! Our middle schools and high schools have all kinds of choices of even where they want to eat - they have several different types of "kitchens" in the cafeteria serving everything from standard lunches to fast food fare.

Answer by missanc at 8:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Our HIGH SCHOOL students don't even get that many choices.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 2:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• That is unusual. I would still be concerned about GMOs, pesticides, high levels of sodium, hormones, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Wow when I was a kid it was salad bar or a sorry excuse of a riblett sandwich. And peas and pears. lol. My kids acually get 3 choices for entree one being vegan. He only has 3 side choices. they are all considered vegan. No butter or other dairy. All of it is very good!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Sounds very close to what our school does. We also have a slad bar and lots of fresh fruit options. It typically depends on what company your school is contracted with for lunches. Ours teaches abut healthy eating and the kids get rewards and lots of information throughout the year. In december they came home with a calendar for 2010 with healthy recipes.

It isnt as unusual as you would think many many elem schools have had to overhaul their lunch menus because of parent groups who demand better for their children as well as state programs that are demanding better standards. Ours also serves a good breakfast as well. I used to work for the schools so I know exactly where my kids food is being ordered from ( i use to handle those shipments) while they are still using many processed foods, the fresh food options are getting much better.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My sons school has only one option and it is rarely anything healthy. I pack him a healthy lunch and he buys a bag of milk or water in the lunch line.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I never had any kind of lunch like that when I was in school. It was either gross hot lunch, sometimes good "cold" lunch, & the vending machines.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• for $ 4.00 we get one entree choice or PB&J with starch and veg. Plus milk and dessert. Everything is homemade though, so thats good.
    BUT I pack his lunch EVERYDAY
    Anonymous