Is it unreasonable to expect the in-laws to slightly baby proof their house?

My in laws watch my daughter one night a weekend, because they want to spend time with her. She is over 1 1/2 years old now and trying to open doors and climb stairs and such. We bought them 2 gates to prevent her from getting to the staircase and a home safety kit with doorknob covers, outlet covers and drawer locks. Well, I asked them if they put the doorknob locks on and FIL was like "No" and kinda blew it off. In the living room, there is the door to the basement and the door to the garage. The basement is unfinished with wooden steps and only a banister on the left, no rails. SUPER DANGEROUS! The garage has 2 steps down onto a cement floor. Dh said he went there and they didn't even bring the stuff in the house, they left in the garage. FIL's excuse was that MIL is always with her. Well, hmm, it only takes a second for an accident to happen. We spent money buying those things so our daughter would be safe CONT

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I say don't let your daughter go over there until they baby proof the house with the things you bought them. They can always take the things down when she leaves. I'm sure they would feel horrible if something happened to her.
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• In my opinion they should babyproof at least using the items you gave them. I see no reason not to.

Answer by Bmat at 2:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I dont think it matters if your mil is always with her, it is better safe than sorry! it doesnt take much effort to set up the gates or knob covers! Fine if they dont want to keep everything up when your daughter isnt there, but when they know she is coming they need to prepare ahead of time!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• while she is over there. Even when I was explaining the stuff to FIL, I felt he wasn't even listening to me. I told dh that if they can't respect that I want these SIMPLE precautions taken while she is over there, then I don't want her going there AT ALL without us. I'm really pissed as to how he blew us off. He always does ignorant shit to me. Like saying he'll be here to pick her up at 5 and then not showing until 7, because they were at the casino. Do they call, NOPE? There are so many reasons that I'm about to end these weekend sleepovers. Yesterday, they called at 1:30 and said they were almost done eating and were bringing her home after that. I locked up my dogs, had laundry in the dryer that I was waiting to fold until after they left and dh and I were waiting for them to arrive so that we could watch a movie afterward. We call at 4! 4 o'clock and they were at home. They went home and put my daughter CONT.
    Anonymous

• down for a nap ONCE AGAIN without even calling. Sorry for the rant. They just PISS ME OFF. It's like they have no respect and will never admit to being wrong.
    Anonymous

• Same issue here my in laws want to watch my son on the weekends while i work...Ha ha after the first inncedent I WAS DONE Till this day they cant baby proof nothing and he is 12 months now besides the fact they NEVER once come to our house to visit him, call and check on him, ask hows he's doing nothing... so now I have my mom watch him at my house while im at work.. Just unexceptable!!! They cant baby proof and make efforts THEY CANT SEE MY SON!! Ha sounds harsh but ya know it takes only 1 time for something bad to happen my incedent was when my son was crawling "they suposally vacuumed and cleaned there house" ha freakin money on the floor guess what! My son choked on a penny!!!! turned blue in the face couldnt breath finally got that thing up and they acted like it was ok.... like i said they cant baby proof dont allow it... it only takes 1 time and could be fatal....Sorry im just very protective and pickey.....
    Anonymous

• Anon :45--I completely agree with you. You seem to be going through the SAME thing as me. I agree. No precautions, NO VISITS!
    Anonymous

• This reminds me of my MIL she had this glass bowl of dried something not even sure what but it had needles very sharp long needles sticking out of it and she refused to put it up when my son would visit ( we lived out of state so only visited twice a year) she did the same thing when i had my second child and told me that my kids needed to learn to not touch (they were a newborn and 3 y/o) but of course when her other children finally had babies she got rid of that bowl because the "poor kids could get hurt and it isnt safe" WTF?
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Yes. Just be strict. My sons father kept trying to take him over there but I have threaten to call the cops out and go to court etc... I mean it got really bad because of it... But gotta protect your kid! Just say NO! But our problem now is "my son cant go to there house" "THEY CANT COME OVER" Its ridiculous his family is just so immature its pitiful..... So guess my son wont know his daddies family thats all i can say... They dont try... I CANT TRY
    Brookey25

Answer by Brookey25 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• They do it or she doesn't go. It's as simple as that. I'm a grandmother and I believe in child proofing. It's just good parenting. If they can't respect your desire to keep your child safe in their home then they don't deserve to have her there. They can choose, comply or not but I wouldn't let her go if they don't.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2010