• In the Spotlight:

Whats a good kid-friendly recipe using chicken? Need dinner ideas!

Have defrosted chicken for dinner, but at a blank on what to do with it. Think the kids are getting tired of baked breaded chicken, and chicken spaghetti. Does anyone have any good stir-fry or other recipes?

DiannaPD71

Asked by DiannaPD71 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• APPLE-BUTTER CHICKEN
    4 boneless chicken breasts
    1 jar apple butter
    1 stick butter/margerine
    4 apples( I usually use Gala or red apples)

This goes great with mashed potatoes...put the sauce on top as a gravy. My kids gobble this up every time I make it!!!
    Pre-heat oven to 350. In a large pot, fill it with water....bring to boil and drop the chicken in. Boil the chicken for 10 min. Slice apples while you are waiting for the chicken to boil. Take chicken out of water, and put them in casserole like dish. Pour all/most of apple butter over chicken, and then drop the apple slices on top- spread out. Take stick of butter and slice peices to put over apples and chicken in the dish...just drop some here and there randomly over so it will melt in with the apple butter. Bake in oven uncovered for about 20-25 min. Take out and serve as is. We like to scoop up the apple butter sauce left in the and put on top of mashed potatoes.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 3:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I grill it and cut it up cooked with other veggies and make tacos, fajitas, and burritos, I also toss it on a spinach salad (but then again not all kids like fresh baby spinach) Last night i baked chicken in balsalmic and then when it was done i topped it with mushroom, spinach and mozzerella cheese and let the cheese melt then served with a salad of baby greens and brown rice.

I realize my version of kid friendly is probably not the norm lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• eatingI cut them in bite size pieces and LIGHTLY roll them in seasoned flour then fry them in olive oil. My grandkids love them. They dip them in their favorite sauce. I bake some sweet potato fries (drizzled with olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder) and they are happy campers.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Quesadillas -
    Medium Flower Tortillas
    Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
    Refried Beans
    Shredded Cheese (I use Colby Monteray Jack)

Brown chicken in pan or cook thoroughly in microwave and cut into small bite size pieces.
    Do not preheat refried beans. On a flour tortilla spread desired amount of refriend beans, topped with desired amount of shredded cheese, and chicken. Do not overstuff. I spread a tiny amount of refried beans on the inside of the other half, but that's optional. Fold over other half of tortilla ontop of ingredients. Spread a light coating of butter ontop of quesadilla. (optional to help browning)

Spray frying pan (Best way to cook them) with cooking spray or lightly oil the pan. Fry Quesadilla until brown on both sides and cheese is melted. Cut into three triangle pieces and serve.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My kids LOVE this and devour it! Mix equal amounts milk, cream soup, and instant rice in a greased casserole. (I use 3 cans each of soup, rice, & milk.) Chop up your cooked chicken and layer on top (it'll sink a little but it'll be fine). Spread 1-2 lbs frozen california mixed veggies on top. Sprinkle shredded or layer sliced cheese on top if desired. Cover with foil and bake about 90 minutes or so at 350-400. Uncover the last few minutes if you want to lightly brown the top. So easy, so good!
    Anonymous

• Season chicken breasts, cook unitl brown. Put in a baking pan with a can of cream of mushroom soup (or whatever cream soup you like), add about 1/2 can of milk and a can of drained french style green beans. Bake until chicken is cooked through. About 35 minutes at 350. Serve over rice. You can add more soup and milk for extra gravy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Chicken garlic pizza. Sauce is made from ranch and garlic powder (garlic to taste) chicken, tomatoes, scallons, moz. cheese. Sooooooooooo good.

40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 9:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2010