Has anyone's kids turned away from drugs? What helped?

Teen drugs are in the schools. My son said that it's smoked in the restrooms. Did you know that? Also that all of the kids are doing pot and estascy. Even the girls. Scary!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• My son went away when he was 14 for 6 months (situation way too long to explain) but the supervision ended up being HORRIBLE -the woman in charge was out helping the kids buy pot and beer! Anyway DS was the youngest, there were 9 boys from 14.5 to 19 when the place fell apart and it came out that 7 of the 9 were drinking and smoking pot alot, DS and the 19 year olds were the only two the others said didn't do anything. DS admitted to drinking one beer to see what it was like and that was it. He realized how stupid it was to risk ruining his future for drugs or drinking, how stupid the kids looked drunk and how funny they were high, but how much they were not really themselves and decided he doesn't want to do it. So he sort of turned them down, he tried beer once but didn't smoke pot, both were available DAILY. Unfortunately we have alcoholics in our family and DS knows its the disease that keeps them down in life too.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Ok well not lettrally ALL as in the whole dam school, but alot. He said all of his friends are.
    Anonymous

• I'm 19, so trust me, I know. I know a lot of the people I went to school with smoked pot and/or drank. I didn't, but just because I didn't want to, doesn't mean it isn't avaliable.
    Anonymous

• As for drugs being in the schools, it always has been. I graduated in 1991, and I had a friend whose soda was usually rum & coke, I smoked cigarettes in the bathroom, and had friends who smoked pot in the woods adjacent to the school before school, during lunch, and after school and knew a few people who always had speed for sale between classes in the hallways. BTW this was NOT a city school, we had under 200 in my graduating class, mostly middle class income.
    Anonymous

• I am 59 years old and as far as I know drugs and drinking have always been around. It just seems you hear so much more about them now, and there are alot more different ones out there now. We live in a town of about 50000 people with 2 large high schools, our baby (17) is a senior and I asked him if he knew anybody that did not drink or do drugs and he said NO.. and he knows alot of kids due to sports and traveling around the state since he was 9 doing sports. Anybody who thinks there is not a problem with teen drinking and drugs has there head in the sand and do not want to face reality....
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 9:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• If he is telling you that all of his friends do, he probably is, too, and is trying to make excuses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2010