1/2oz apple juice to 1 2/2 oz of water

I was trying to figure out if it is safe to give my 6 week old son (9weeks preemie) 1/2 oz apple juice mixed with 1 1/2 oz water to help his constipation and gas because it is making him scream bloody murder and keeps him from sleeping at any time of day. He is on Breastmilk and we are supplementing every other bottle with simalac neosure (special care formula), which has iron as well as he is on an iron vitamin. He spent the first 5 weeks of his little life in the NICU and has had issues with constipation since day 3. I have called his pediatrcian and I am waiting on a call back. This is a suggestion that was given to me by a person with 19 grandkids.
Any thoughts on anything I can give him would be helpful because Myilcon is not helping.
Thanks

amygraves21

Asked by amygraves21 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would not introduce juice or anything of the sort at this age. What are his symptoms? What are his bowel movements like? Any way you can cut back on the formula?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• No juice, no extra iron - it's constipating. Sounds like it could be something in your diet affecting him. Try skipping a couple of breast sessions and see how he does.
    Anonymous

• No juice, especially that young and preemie. Are you eating anything with dairy in it? Water may not be a good idea for him either, as I imagine he is still on the small side. If you are eating dairy products, try cutting them out. No need to reduce the nursing; breastmilk can reduce the amount of constipation your lo has as it acts as a sort of laxative- try increasing breastmilk intake, not reducing. And the extra iron is probably contributing to the constipation. Last question: how is the poop when he does pass a movement? Dry and pellet like or are they just sporadic? Dry and pellet like= constipation. Just sporadic, well, lots of breastfed babies take longer to develop regular bowel movements as they often don't waste as much of their intake. Something to consider.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• No. Its the formula and the extra iron that is causing the constipation and gas (its a known side effect of formula...very common) and (iron is extremly constipating). You can improve the situation immensely by pumping breastmilk and supplementing with extra milk from you and not from formula. breastfed babies go longer between poops but this doesn't mean constipation. If the stool is loose it is fine, if it is hard and like pellets or has form then it is constipation. Read ths for pumping tips for premies:   http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• The iron is constipating. Why can't you just breastfeed?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:02 AM on Feb. 1, 2010