What is your opinion of stem cell research?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's great, and we should fund it and let scientists find cures and treatments that right now are just a dream.
    Anonymous

• I think it's like health care reform. People who don't understand it think it will magically fix everything, when in reality, it's not nearly as good as its hype.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I think that there are other options we should consider instead of using aborted fetal tissue. There has been promise in cells found in umbilical cord blood and I for one think that that might be a better avenue to travel down.

As for stem cells themselves I see it like I do any advancment- it has the possibility of being a double edged sword. Many great things COULD come from it, but as with anything humans touch there is also the real possibility of things being used negativily. Aside from that I think caution should be urged and used in this matter because we really just don't know what the repurcussions are possible from the advancment of this particular branch of research.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• There has been promise in cells found in umbilical cord blood and I for one think that that might be a better avenue to travel down.

***
    This is something we did when our children were born. Considering the developmental issues our children have, we have hope that someday scientists will identify the gene responsible, and MAYBE we'll still be able to address and positively alter their developmental issues on a molecular level. We have also heavily invested in a number of biotech companies.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• definitely worth looking into and possibly funding. hopefully people can some results, it's better than nothing
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My best friend's Dad flew to China for stem cells as he has Parkinson's. It's been a year and there is almost NO difference in his mental/physical function. That said, I am ALL FOR IT. Science has its price but we have always paid in order to find successful treatments.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I am for stem cell research as long as they are obtained though cord blood and not embryos. I personally would never take stem cells from a embryo. Embryo stem cells have shown to grow tumors on the donor, where as stem cells from cord blood does not. I do not think it is a cure all, but finding one cure is better than nothing in my opinion.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Honestly I do not believe in creating a fetus to abort it and use it for science. However, i am all for making something halfway descent come from a bad situation. Like donating the cells after the abortion. Or donating the cells of the cord/afterbirth right after giving birth. If someone asked me i would gladly donate my sons cells, its not like im taking the cord home with me. from what i have read and seen science is making leaps and bounds when it comes to generating limbs and healing diseases. to me its a positive thing!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My sister is a stem cell researcher. The aborted tissue that abortion clinics have to dispose of is not the tissue they use. That tissue is damaged and isn't controlled. They sometimes get tissue from families doing IVF who donate their "left over" frozen embryos to science. Much of the research tissue is from animals because human tissue is saved for final stages of testing.

I'm a big supporter of the science. It creates jobs, it may save lives in the future. Better, safer medicine is always a good thing.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I believe that life begins at conception. I don't really like the whole idea of it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2010