cleaning hard wood floors

i have hardwood floors throughout my house, you'd think by now i'd learn how to clean them, but alas no! I just finished using ZEP laminate and hardwood floor cleaner and the floor is streaky as if i had mopped with milk. Any ideas? I'm using an orange glo mop head, i just got out of the washing machine, you know microfiber green thing. Thanks for stopping by, any suggestions appreciated.

mouse1085

Asked by mouse1085 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I always used just warm water for everyday cleaning on older hardwood floors and twice a month i used muphy's. I was tod on older floors not to use harsh cleaners becuase it can ruing them if used to often.

Is it original hardwood or the newer stuff that they install that has that glossy look to them?
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• it's new stuff but it doesn't have a glossy look, it's kinda matte finish. I would prefer if it was high gloss, but my husband says that shows the dirt easier. Who knows? I'll try warm water can't hurt as long as you don't let it sit.
    mouse1085

Answer by mouse1085 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I always clean my floors with Murphy's Oil Soap or a Vinegar and Water solution.

I mainly use MOS. Love the smell.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Murphy's Oil Soap...diluted? by how much?
    mouse1085

Answer by mouse1085 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Vinegar and water are the best things to use on a solid hardwood floor, or you can order the cleaning solution the company that produces (not sold to you) the hardwood floors. 1:4 is a good ratio for the vinegar:water. Get a mop damp, not wet and mop the floor, then dry mop the floor with another mop or terry cloth. DO NOT let the water just sit on the floor as it could affect the wood ie causing it to swell and warp over time. The floor probably looks streaky b/c a lot of cleaners still create a waxy film on the floor, which is great if your floors are waxed, not so much if the floors are newer and have a different type of sealer on them, as it sounds like yours do. Go to this site for lots of information about caring for your floor: http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/ It will take you to the Nat'l Wood Flooring Assoc. site

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I use white vinegar and water

Answer by rkoloms at 8:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I use Method Wood for Good. Also, mop in the direction of the wood grain.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:00 AM on Feb. 1, 2010