not quite sure how to handle this, kinda venting and question.

okay "we" have a cat, or more my hubby has a cat. i am not a cat person i dont have a problem with people who have cats but there just not me. anyways we have three kids right now and one on the way. i got a basenet for our new baby so we can have her in our room, but the problem is, is that the cat now thinks of it as his bed. which really makes me mad. i mean there is now cat hair all over, and i mean all over the bed and if he thinks that its his when the baby comes he will want to jump on in there and the baby will be in there. he got ceclawed but they grew back so i dont want him scratching the baby. i'm not sure what to do. my hubby loves this cat, but i do not want in near the baby. what should i do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i'm in the same boat. Spray the cat with a watter bottle any time he gets near the bed
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• you will probably only have to do it a couple of times and he wont want to go near it anymore
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• First of all, you need to roll up a news paper and smack the cat with it every time he climbs in there, or even better, get a spray bottle and sprat the cat with water every time he gets in it. I heard someone did this as a way for their cat to quit messing with their Christmas tree and it worked. Be consistent and never let the cat lay in there. Secondly, at night keep the door closed and during the day let the cat go outside when baby is asleep.
    Anonymous

• yup use the spray bottle, my cats (i have 7) will try to take over anything new and comfy, make sure you say no and take it out each time. eventually they get the hint. Even cat lovers get annoyed when they do things like this.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Please dont use a rolled up newspaper to smack your cat, there are many reasons why not to outside of it just being cruel and abusive.

spraying water at their butt wont hurt them, they will just associate water which cats dont like with the bed.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i had the same problem with my black cat when i set up the crib and bassinet for my daughter. we tried water it didnt work so we had to resort to smacking the cat on the hind quarters, not too hard but hard enough it made him jump. i know it sounds mean but i didnt want the cat thinkin its ok to sleep in with the baby and accidentally smothering her.
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• You could also line the bassinet with tin foil for now until the baby come. It should scare the heck out of your cat every time it jumps in there.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 4:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• get a empty soda can and put a few coins in it and shake it to scare the cat away
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i was warned to keep the cat away from the baby. they can smother a child too small to push them away. before i had my son. i once woke up from a dream where i was strapped down across my neck. it was my cat sleeping across my neck. i also woke up with her sleeping on the top of my head.
    Anonymous

• i went to fix my son a bottle when he was just a few wks old and found my cat in his bassinet..she was sniffing him and checking him out. It really scared me because all the rumors about cats but most of all because she was a BIG CAT. she could have stepped on his little belly or something. You just have to watch very carefully and sometimes its hard to watch because cats are very sneaky
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2010