how many of you moms brought your baby can read and did it work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• not that program but we are using the bumble bee videos for my daughter, she is in speech therapy and her ST recommended that for helping her talk..but it shows the word as its said then had the word displayed while the word is being demonstrated ex clap...the word clap is shown while kids are clapping..and when she is shown the word clap she says clap and claps...she just turned 2. the bumble bee is the original program and a lot cheaper than the baby can read
    Anonymous

• Nope... I didn't buy mine any of this kind of stuff. But, they are both in their twenties and they can read now! LOL! Seriously, they learned in school, just like YOU did.
    Anonymous

• I think these programs are ONLY made to make us feel inferior as parents. If we don't have babies at 9 months that are talking and reading... than we are failures.

SERIOUSLY???
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 4:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• it made a REALLY GOOD DOORSTOP
    Anonymous

• All it is is flashcards. You could do something similar yourself. I think the success depends more on how involved you get with your child, though. Do the same with some books from the library or buy some fun books and read them starting early with your child and you will get a child just as literate as the ones whose parents spent more money on a special program. Dr. Seuss is a good book genre to start with on reading.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Nope. I don't need my baby to read. I'm happy to read her books to her. She can worry about reading when she starts school and whatever she picks up before that is great. What's the rush on getting our babies to grow up? Work them hard as babies and by the time they are in 2nd grade...............everyone has caught up with them anyway. What's the point? Nope, I'll let my baby be a BABY.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• get the leapfrog fridge magnets. once they know all their letters you can start with single vowel sound focused books "the cat sat on the mat"
    you don't need to pay hundreds of dollars to teach your kid to read.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• It doesn't teach your baby to read. Google some of the reviews for that program.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• We did not buy that. It's so dumb. Babies don't need to read, for one thing. Secondly, what good is reading if they can't talk yet? What a scam!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Yeah we have a leapfrog magnetic thing with all the letters on our dishwasher. It's adorable. It sings the ABCs and then has all 26 letters as separate magnets, you stick the letter in for instance B and it says "B says ba, B says ba, every letter makes a sound, B says ba." Once they know the letters they have one with 3 letter words. And it's MUCH cheaper. We got ours at Target.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2010