Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

State of Oregon Tax question

I live in Oregon and I am trying to file my state taxes and I have a question and I am not sure what to do so if you can help me I would appreciate it. On the form it asks if me or my DH is disabled...My dh has a condition called Ankylosing Spondilits...there is no cure for it and he has a handicap sticker for the car...He doesn't use any kind of machinery to help him in his daily life although he would if it was not for me....BTW what is wrong with him in simple terms is that he has calcium deposits in his back neck and hips that have fused his bones together so it is hard for him to walk and he cannot turn his head AT ALL or bend at the waist AT ALL...I am not sure if I should put that he is disabled because he COULD get on disability but he chooses not to because he wants to work....any help or resources that you can give me would be helpful. THANK YOU

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (6)
  • BTW This is the defination on the oregon dept of revenue website...but I am not sure because I am my dh's outside help....He would NOT be able to maintain a household without me.

    - You have a permanent condition that, without special equipment or outside help, limits your ability to earn a living, maintain a household or transport yourself.


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

  • call the IRS or H&R block

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

  • I tried calling H&R block they are supposed to call me back but haven't yet and I tried calling the state and the hold time was an hour so i thought i would try here since there are so many of you smart ladies on here! :)

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

  • You are considered 100% disabled if you are unable to engage in any substantially gainful activity according to any medically determinable physical or mental impairment that can be expected to result in death or has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.

    Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

  • If he is diagnosed by a doctor as disabled, then you should have documentation for tax purposes. But as other replies have said, you do really need to contact IRS or a tax consultant, so as not to assume anything on a tax return that would create a RED FLAG for IRS... :(

    Answer by agentwanda at 7:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

  • I live in Oregon. I think you can probably claim the disability. I would talk to HR block or google up a number to call the state tax office to clarify. My youngest has an Autism Spectrum Disorder, but he isn't on disability. Because he is part of the the SPED and has an IEP he is considered disabled for tax purposes.

    Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.