Can a baby have down syndrome and the Dr's not notice it?

I was looking at a friends baby pictures on Facebook...the baby is 4 weeks old...and he looks like he has down syndrome to me.

Just a little. I am no expert but this was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• maybe he does have it and they just dont like talking about it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• He may have it and it's like the elephant in the room that they don't want to talk about, or maybe he has another type of disability. The first time I met my co-worker's 2 yr old, I had a feeling from the looks he gave and his behavior that he was somehow different, but she had never mentioned anything was wrong. I didn't say anything directly to try and make her feel guilty or anything, but I asked some questions and tried to find out if she had talked to his doctor about his development. At 5 years old, he was finally diagnosed autistic. I think it took her a long time to come to terms with the idea that he may not be "normal" and to have him tested. I can imagine it's very hard to accept that your child might not be perfect, and she either ignore their doctor's suggestions, or just avoided testing him.
    Anonymous

• A lot of kids have that "look" when they are young and no, the doctor wouldn't miss it because of the mandatory genetic tests that are done at birth.
    zoeygracesmom

Answer by zoeygracesmom at 6:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Actually, it could be missed even if the child were already tested for Downs Syndrome, because there is something called "Mosaic Downs Syndrome" where the extra chromosome only shows up in some cells and not all of them. This is often difficult to identify b/c you have to get just the right cell to test and most docs won't test for it unless the child is definately showing some signs typically associate with having Downs Syndrome and past testing for DS has been negative.

But, to be fair, the child may look like a child with Downs Syndrome and not have anything at all wrong with it. My son had the classic almond shaped eye and flat nasal bridge associate with Downs Syndrome until he was about 6 years old, which is when his facial features began to mature some, and my son doesn't have any chromosome issues.
    Anonymous

• I know a lot of parents of kids with DS, (because my son has special needs), and one mom I met actually didn't find out until her first well-child check. The baby's features were just really mild, and it was not caught at the hospital. I don't know about genetic testing... Maybe that is the case now, but my son did not have genetic testing when he was born 3 years ago... hmmm....
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I'm sure it possible but DS usually have very distinct features from someone that doesn't have it. Like a PP said maybe it's not something the parents freely talk about.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2010