whats the best way to deal with a 3 yr. that dont want to do what mom says but only dad?

especially in public,I cant stand sometimes to go nwhere ,he dont want to mind me.I talk to him tell him hell be in trouble,he dont care it seems ,the other tomes hes an angel.and he also whines like a beby,which he is my last and youngest.I need some answers-thanks

buzy-bee

Asked by buzy-bee at 5:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like he thinks your all talk...no action. You need to be willing to stop...no matter where you are and discipline him in a consistent and firm manner. Kids know when you are all talk.

If he acts up in a store, give him a warning...if he does it again...stop right there...leave the store, go put him in time out in the car. (that is where I would do it anyways) when he does his 3 minute time out well, then he can appoligize and come back into the store with you.

Man, that sounds like a pain right...well, thats what you've got to be willing to do. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My 3yr daughter reacts to her fathers voice immedately, but he rarely punishes her. but i have learned the counting method. I will ask her to do something and when she doesnt I say 1....... 2...... 3....... If she doesnt respond and I say 3 she is punished - (toy taken away, spanking, time out --- which ever is approprate for the activity). I constantly say ONE! and she usually stops in her tracks now. But if i still say THREE she is punished. and yes when we are in a store I PICK HER UP and take her to the bathroom for her nose in the corner time out. She hates that cuz anyone in the bathroom sees her.

Its the age and dads voice is authority even if he never punishes. ours is a voice they here all the time with love and play and its not very scary. LOL good luck
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Talk to your husband about this situation ,ask him to have a talk with your son to listen to you when you ask him to do something. because if he doesn't and mom tells dad that he wasn't listening to her , he will be in big trouble when he gets home.or you can tell him if he behaves this week-end you will all go out to eat for lunch. another week-end say you'll take him to see a movie,another week-end take him to see his cousins so he can play with them ,if he behaves for you, another week-end say if he's good you have a play date for him if you have anymore kids his age living in your neighborhood, and so on..... gl.:)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:15 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• When our children were growing up, we spanked them to teach respect for authority and to obey us. There were some offences that were worthy of a double spanking. One of those was disrespect for Mom. If Dad wasn't home, and one of the children showed disrespect to me, I dealt with it as best I could with the promise that Dad would be told when he got hom. I would follow through, and then Dad would spank again. This does two things. It establishes Dad as the final authority on all discipline issues, and it teaches your children that men are to love and protect their wives, even from them!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• start doing exactly what the dad would do in the situation. have the dad talk to your child about it being the same no matter who is correcting him, he has to listen. dont wait to punish do it on the spot.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Well I have two questions. 1. Do you follow through when you threaten him that xyz is going to happen if he doesn't do as you ask? 2. Does your husband disrespect you or undermine your authority in front of your kids? Your kids will soon learn not to treat you with respect if your husband doesn't treat you with respect.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 10:37 AM on Feb. 1, 2010