What do you do to relieve stress and make yourself happy?

I am desperate for happiness. I lost myself in this vaccuum of depression, and I want so bad to just get out and stop worrying. I just want to be happy and know how to handle stress in a healthy way. I have so much anger and sadness on top of many other emotions boiling inside of me every day. I want it gone. It hurts. TIA.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 5:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Health

• I play on the 'puter and read.

In your situation I would suggest seeing a counselor. Activities won't help you feel better if you don't feel good about yourself. A counselor will help you work through your negative emotions.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 5:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• try finding a hobby, something that you can do that can not only be relaxing but keep your mind off of things, give you something to do and give you some reward for completing a project. I crochet. There is nothing more relaxing and I feel accomplished when I finish a project and look at what I have done. Makes me feel good that I have that talent and I can create things. Good luck.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 5:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• When I get like that, I turn those strong emotions into my writing. I am working on my first novel at the moment. I utilize all of my emotions in my writing. It is very therapeutic.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 5:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Like PP said. Write yourself a letter and get everything out, the sadness, anger, hate, love, what's wrong etc.. Just wrote, don't think about it and once you are done, you should feel better because it is no longer bottled inside you. You can then burn the letter as a way to let it go.. I used this about 18 years ago due to my F'ed up child hood. I have never looked back.. Hope you find something that works for you. Keeping it all inside binds you to those feelings and keeps you down.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I scrapbook. Do yoga. I also like to job but can't seem to find the time for it. I spend time with my kids just having fun.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Sorry you're feeling this way, I think many of us can relate. One thing, isolate what is making you furious. Because there's depression and the thing that is pissing you off that needs its own attention. I used to have a terrible temper and although I am not religious, I actually prayed with the hope that it would dissipate (so I could control it around my small kids at the time). It vanished. No joke. BUT, the stress and depression are different. For both, I finally forced my butt into the gym and I walk every day. It lifts the sad fog and gives you energy. I also started a routine beginning w/ a cup of coffee, the gym, shower, breakfast, house cleaning, lunch then PM walk, then when the kids are home I'm busy. I eat better too and staying idle is deadly. Try to be busy and really find a way to take time for yourself/ treat yourself weekly to something. Read a good book, bath, movie, etc. Good Luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I workout, play my mmorpg game, read, spend quality time with my family, watch tv among other things.. My med has also helped me.
    Anonymous

• I talk to someone (usually my SO), I take a bubble bath and read, I just read, I play around on the computer a bit, I lose myself in a good movie (usually a tried and true old favorite guaranteed to capture my attention), I hang with my kids (unless they're the ones stressing me...lol), I bake or cook, I sleep.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I hide behind humor...you know this.

"She who can laugh at herself never ceases to be amused."
    cmorellana

Answer by cmorellana at 6:44 PM on Feb. 3, 2010