do you brid your kids?

ie, finsih your dinner or not popsicle?
clean your room and you can have a cookie??

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 5:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't call it bribing exactly. But they do know that there are causes and effects in life, and that some consequences of what you do are good, and some are bad. So, you don't clean your room - then no, you can't go to the movies. You didn't do your homework during the week, then you're grounded.

But, on the other hand, you help clean the house (above and beyond their regular chores), they could get extra money in their allowance. Or, when they were little, if they ate their dinner, they could get a treat.

I don't look at it as bribes, because just because they ate dinner, didn't mean that they always got a treat, or whatever, and I didn't do it in desperate, please do this, if you do, I'll give you ___ way. It was simply cause and effect. Just like, if you do a good job at work, your boss could give you a raise / promotion... You don't you could be fired... - that's not a bribe - that's consequences. :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Sometimes depending on what it is. We were having a hard time getting my 5 yr old to behave in school so we told him if you bring home a gold ticket then you can play a video game. It's worked.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Yep, we bribe sometimes. If they pee on the potty, they get an M&M.
    Anonymous

• HUH? do you mean BRIBE? kinda hard to know what you are asking here. but if you mean bribe? sometimes
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• No, I don't bribe them to do anything.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Bribe, no. It doesn't work on my son. He could care less about cookies and toys. He just wants to do what he wants to do.
    Anonymous

• Yes, only I like to call it a reward because it sounds better, but yes sometimes a bribe does wonders. I look at it this way people go to work everyday because they want the reward of a paycheck at the end of the week, sometimes kids and adults need something that they want to give them the motivation to work towards their goal.

I try not to make food the reward/bribe because obesity runs in our family.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:43 AM on Feb. 1, 2010