Any advise on how to learn patients .

Any advise My 17 year old step daughter is 9 weeks pregnant. She went and go on wic and today she came home and brought all her stuff. I understand that wic is "her" stuff. But she wrote her name as big as day on all the stuff she got. I am like well I am not going to tell my other kids they cant have a bowl of that cereal because it is "17 year olds". We have tons of food in there that belongs to everyone. If 17 year old wants anything in there to eat then she is welcome to it. How can I be patient with her and not let it just piss me off to no end. We pay her medical bills, she pays no rent, all she has to do is go to school. Uhh Frustrated mom. on how to learn patients .

twinsnseptember

Asked by twinsnseptember at 5:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Whatever you do, sit her down and explain that she's free to eat what she wants and you expect she can understand that her cereal may end up being shared as well. Otherwise, if she's bent out of shape, play her game and make her eat only what she provides. May be the easier way to make your point, albeit, absurd.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Unfortunately, the only way to learn patience is to practice it. I made the mistake one time to pray and ask God for patience. What did I get? More opportunities to practice patience. As for your daughter, honestly, unless the food from WIC is specifically for the baby (ie - formula, baby food, etc.) I would tell her to get her damned name off of everything unless she is willing to pay rent and not touch any of your food. That is just ungrateful selfishness.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• you realize that WIC says that only SHE is to eat that stuff? more than likely they told her she can get in big trouble if it not going to only HER. she might not realize they dont actually care. as long as she is eating healthy for the baby. maybe you could try just sitting down with her and letting her know that? ask her why she did what she did?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• explaine to her unless she wants you to start labeling the rest of the food - none of it with her name because she didnt buy it then knock it off and consider it a contribution to the household that she is lucky to be a part of
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• yes, actually the WIC stuff is specifically for her or her child. It is something that they tell you when you sign up for it. It maybe even something she talked about with the WIC people and they reccommended her putting her name on the things. I would allow her to keep those things seperate. If you have plenty of food in the house, then it doesn't sound like you should have a problem providing enough food for the rest of the family without them taking the things that WIC is providing for her and her child. WIC is not intended for the entire family. Possibly consider putting it in a seperate place. How did she qualify for WIC if you all make enough and support her? WIC is based off of household income.

I understand feeling that it should be shared, I share my WIC things, but I also understand that technically I am not suppose to.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2010