Do I need to drink alot of water before my ultrasound?

I know I had to with my first child, but now I'm with a different clinic and they didn't say anything about preperations. Its tomorrow and I just want to be sure lol.

Mrs.Loeffel

Asked by Mrs.Loeffel at 6:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• depends on how far along u are. after 8 weeks, no
    Anonymous

• It would help, but no not every clinic requires it. I personally would drink a big glass of OJ that way your baby will be rolling around and you have a better chance of seeing EVERYTHING LOL
    Anonymous

• I have always been told to no matter how far along you are.
    Anonymous

• At 20 weeks, I indeed had to drink 1 liter of water before. I would call the office just to be sure!
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 6:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• They always told me to have my bladder full! GL!
    Anonymous

• yeah unfortunately usually you do even if you're close to fullterm or at fullterm, it's cuz the insides of the baby is so tiny.

Surprising they didn't tell you. Maybe they have a website you can google their recommendations?

lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• well i never did unless i was less than 12 wks and they could see all three of them perfectly and even see the gender parts. i should know... my last baby had no less than 5 ultrasounds due to complications.
    kidlover2

Answer by kidlover2 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• they always tell me to make sure i drink 32 oz an hour before the appt and not to go to the bathroom.
    i didn't do that and they had no problem w/ it. u/s at 18 wks drank probably 2 bottles of water and went to the bathroom about 15 min before the u/s and she said my bladder was full. u/s at 22 wks, drank what i normally do throughout the day and didn't go to the bathroom til afterwards and nothing was said if i needed to drink more. she said the my amniotic fluids were normal.
    so, i would just make sure that you drink something before but it doesn't have to be too much.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 6:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Only if they tell you that you need to. i only had to when i went to find out what i was having... i had to drink 2 liters i think.....
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• With my first the doctor told me I had to drink 32 oz water and not use the bathroom, when I got to the hospital they said they didn't need me to so I got to empty my bladder. With my second, a different doctor and different hospital I had to drink the water and hold it in.
    Javi05Eli07

Answer by Javi05Eli07 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2010