Have you ever done this?

I do not have health insurance. I am 25 years old and I have a friend who is the same age. She lets me use her health insurance for doctor's visits when I am really sick. All I do is show them her health insurance card (they don't ask for photo ID) and since they have a huge clinic I never see the same doctor twice (I've only done this a handful of times). Neither she nor I have allergies or anything like that and we are both in good general health.

Have you ever known anyone to do this? What would you think of someone (like myself) who did this? Would you ever do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Health

• I feel that you are being responsible for taking care of your health. Regardless of the way in which you go about recieving treatment, the important this is that you are well.
    There are sooooo many people that end up dead or close to it because the dont have insurance. Good on you for doing what you have to do.....BTW you are certainly not the only one to commit insurance fraud.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 9:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• its fraud and you both could go to jail if you got caught
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Aside from what op said, which i agree with - you will be big time trouble if found and so will your friend -

you're also putting into her national medical bureau file health information on you. That mixes up her own file and of course yours. Someone's gonna catch on. One of yous not going to know the other one went or forgot and staff will get suspicious.

Call you county for clinics, go on your states no health insurance plans.

lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• ditto.

fraud - HIGH penalties, including you never being able to get insurance of any kind later.
    Anonymous

• meant 'aside from what previous poster said.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 6:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Absolutely not. This is not ok at all. They use all your information to get a general health picture on you. What happens if you need blood work and are found to have Hepitits and they call HER and start therapy on HER? I hope you stop this right now. It is so much more than just insurance issues although those are big as well. You need to figure out another way. THis is irresponsible and reprehensible.
    Anonymous

• I'm surprised you're 25 and don't know any better than this. They have health clinics that you can go to for free then you wouldn't have to commit fraud.
    Anonymous

• there are doctor offices out there that will charge only like 40 dollars or so for an office visit for people that don't have insurence. The one i go to charges that for people without and i hate it cuz my copay is 50...its almost not fair
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Dude, that's Fraud. That's a federal offense.
    If you're caught, that's prison time.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I guess it would depend on how sick I was. You can go to the health dept for so many things for free and some towns have free health clinics. I'm not sure if I would do what you do but don't worry, I won't tell on you. In our town we have to show photo ID so we can't get away with it.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2010