Paperwork, question for those born organized. :)

What paperwork needs to be kept and what can be shredded? I have a huge paperwork problem. I don't want anything I don't have to have, yet, don't want to shredd stuff I need!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• That depends on your lifestyle.
    All documents regarding your family's birth records, medical records, financial history needs to be kept.
    Financial as in bank statements, Check stubs, (both from your employer and from your check book) for the last seven years. That is incase anything should happen with the IRS, your employer, or bank. You don't want to need something from two years back and not have any record of it.
    Anything regarding your home purchase, your car purchase, and bank statements on payments you've made on those should be kept. Any documents/reciepts regarding home improvements (especially if you hired out), car improvements should be kept. Only keep lawn and garden if you hired out.

Reciept copies if you have a nanny, babysitter, or dacare provider. Reciepts from insurance claims and payment on insurance.

That's all I can think of.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My father in law has a really good system that works for him. He has a file cabinet that he has hanging file folders in, one per month. He puts all the paid bills, bank statements, etc from each month in their file.

At the end of the year, he goes through and throws out all of the bills except the last statement for each, but he keeps all the bank statements (they don't have little kids, but things like receipts for child care, mortgage, etc would be kept, too) and puts them in another file with the date for that year. He keeps 7 yrs worth. (Well, he actually keeps longer, but I believe that 7 yrs is as long as you need to keep them.)

This works for him. My dh does it different - he has a file for everything. LOL - I admit, while I'm pretty organized about most things, I HATE filing, so I leave that up to him. When he deploys, it usually just ends up in a big stack that I frantically file right before he's home lol!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2010