toddlers and surgeries

my son, aj, is 23 months old. he will be having 2 surgeries this year, and another one when he's 3.

he'll be getting tubes and allergy testing done on feb 12th. and he'll be having an imbilical hernia removed here shortly, and his tonsils taken out next yr.

my question is....has anyone ever had the same experiences w/any of these...or any surgeriers in the past, and how did they get throu it, and get their child/children thou it. i'm pretty nervous about it, and could use some major reassurance.

thanx a lot.

erin

erinking

Asked by erinking at 7:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My dd had a tumor in her jaw and had to have the lower right portion of her jaw removed when she was 2. Yes, any surgery is scary, the best thing is to try not to let your child see you scared. We also talked about what was going to happen so she wasn't surprised when she woke up from surgery. The scariest thing for me was that no one told me that kids wake up from being put under in a very scary way sometimes, lots of screaming and crying since they don't really know whats going on. My dd got through all of her testing and the major surgery just fine, it was scary at times but the very most important thing is to not let them see how upset or bother by everything going on you are. If your calm it will help to calm them. Good luck and be strong!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 7:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My son hasn't had surgery, but he was put under for an endoscopy and a bronchoscopy when he was 15 months. For him, it took a little while longer than "normal" for him to wake up and it was kind of surprising. One second he was totally gone to the world sleeping and then next he just kinda jumped up and he was awake! He didn't really cry though (his throat was still a little numb) and he was lethargic still too. It wasn't too bad but it is very scary whenever your child has to go under and even worse for a surgery! Good luck!

Also, the skin testing, are they putting him under anesthesia for allergy testing?
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 9:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My son has had 4 brain surgeries. two when he was 3 years old, and two just 2 weeks ago. (he's almost 8 now, but developmentally around 2). I wrote a little book about a caterpillar that was having brain surgery, and in it I talked about the "sleepy" mask that he had to breath in, and that he had some owies when he woke up, and that he got to take his favorite bear and game to the hospital, and that Mommy and Daddy would be right there the whole time... The main thing is to talk about it a LOT, so he understands a little of what is coming and doesn't feel tricked. My son has gone under anesthesia for MANY reasons, almost 30 times, and every time I tell myself that i have to be calm and happy and talk about it like it's NO BIG DEAL until the second he goes under... then I let myself fall apart, and usually feel my way to the waiting room through blinding tears. He will be calm if his mommy is calm. You can do it!
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My son thankfully hasn't needed any surgery... but I'm a ped's nurse and I'm pretty familiar with those surgeries.
    My advice would be be as honest as you can with a 2 year old on what is going to happen... if they have a surgery tour to go on, I would for sure go.... it helps a ton with the recovery post op if they aren't pissed off at you because they had no idea what was going to happen.
    I think you will find that the allergy testing and tubes is very quick and easy.
    The hernia repair I think will be pretty easy too
    The hardest part with tonsils is getting them to drink afterwards and it completely depends on the child on how well that part goes... and taking the medicine. If your child doesn't like taking medicine I would work out a plan now for all the surgeries he's going to have...
    Ask if the place you are going has a child life specialist to help before and after surgery, they are WONDERFUL!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:51 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• my 11 month old went in for trigger fingers. Are you going to a regular hospital or a children's hospital. We went to CHOP and it was wonderful. The surgery was scary but they gave you a number that we could follow it on a tv screen. Told us preop, op or recovery. We have a family history on my side of bad reactions to anesesia and they took extra precautions. I would recommend a children's hospital. Good luck.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Mine had tubes put in at 2 and her adenoids taken out. Just curious why they don't take the tonsils out when they do the tubes? The surgery was outpatient. She was gone for about 20 minutes tops. She bounced right back. Got home, could'nt keep her balance from the anestia, but still wanted to do everything herself. Didn't notice any pain, she only had tylenol for a day after surgery but didn't act like she was in any pain. The younger they are, the faster they recover.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Thanks for all the great advice, means a lot knowing that there has been people that are doing the same thing that i'm going throu w/my son. They arent taking his tonsils out when they do the surgery coz i guess he's to young. i'll just be glad when its all over.
    erinking

Answer by erinking at 4:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2010