parent problems

I am 20 years old. I moved back in with my parents in june of 2009. I pay them 350 a month to olive in a room. They go through me stuff. I have a 19 month old which they help me out with SOMETIMES but i also help them out alot with their other children. I'm tired of them going through me stuff. They say it's their house and what not. How do i break it to them i'm tired of their crap wand want to move out. I know it's going to break my mom's heart and i know they are going to be pissed off for a while but i got to do someting they need to stop treating me like i'm frekain 5 year old.

Madelyn_Marie

Asked by Madelyn_Marie at 7:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• Wow, that's a lot for living in a room for starters, and just because it's their house, does not mean they have a right to look through YOUR belongings merely because they're in their house. IMO, you are PAYING them to live in that room, so it's YOURS, and ONLY yours because you PAY for it. It's equivelant to a landlord searching through the place he's letting you rent, which by NO means would be right. I'd move out, and really, they'll be alright. They might get mad, but I couldn't live like that. They'll get over it. They sound controlling and nosey.
    Anonymous

• do what you just said. you have a right to privacy, especially if you are paying rent. if you were paying rent elsewhere, nobody would have the right to go through your things just because they own the apartment complex.
    Anonymous

• I would have my shit packed and I would be looking for a place for you and your LO. Your parents have no right to be going thur your stuff ever. Also $350 a month for just a little more you can have your own place. MOVE OUT and if you need to start looking and when you find a place and know that it's yours the break it to your parents, If they get mad at you then so be it you have ever reason to be mad at them for going thur your stuff and I would let them know that is one of the reason for moving out. GL to you and your LO.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first post. $350 is a LOT, and should be considered YOUR personal space as long as you're paying for it. Look for a studio apartment...(flat? I don't know. Your wording sounds European.) for you and your baby. You should be able to find something comparable.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 7:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• They have no right to go through your stuff. They are your landlords now and would be arrested for that crap if they were not kin. Tell them to stop or you will leave. For that kind of money you should be able to find a place of your own, in most places or go into an income based housing situation. That's just wrong of them to invade your space like that.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Like Admeckenzie said, you are their tenant now, not their daughter. It is illegal for them to enter the room you're paying for. You can install a lock to keep them out (check your rental laws in your area). Even though they're family they don't have a right to invade your space.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• You have to move out. I have a very controlling mother and when she visits me she goes through everything (that is why my hubby just absolutely hates her visits) and if I go to her house oh my she will treat me like a 5 yr old. Get out of there and try to do whe admckenzie suggested.
    Anonymous

• well if you wanna be treated like an adult act like one and dont use them at all,350? is joke here thats not even realistic where i live,sounds to me like they are doing you a favor but you want all the benifits,so i agree with you move out.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:44 AM on Feb. 1, 2010