castor oil

OK me and my friend found a thing about Castor oil on the internet and i was wondering if you guys could tell us about it from your guys opinion. like some thing we could not find online were these.
can a doctor tell you took it?
how do you know it is working?
dose it really work?

itsagirl200801

Asked by itsagirl200801 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I will never understand why any mom would want to put their child at risk by trying to "induce" early. Let your baby be. He/She will come when the time is ready.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if you Dr can tell if you took it. But all it does is give you the runs. Baby will come when baby is ready. That will not get baby to come any earlier.
    Anonymous

• Its not worth it. BEsides the risk of the baby having a BM in the uterus ( which can cause serious infection and respitroy probblems) It gives you the runs. You end up dehydrated and cramping. It most def. Is NOT worth it.
    Besides NOTHING will come close to working if her body is not started yet.
    Only a few people here say it worked most of everyone else says nothing happened.
    Anonymous

• Castor Oil will not, I repeat WILL NOT induce labor. It will give you terrible sh!ts and that's it. I haven't took it, because I think it's stupid, but I know people who have. Nothing will induce labor, except Pitocin which is what Dr's have to give to you.
    Anonymous

• DONT DO IT!.......... unless you want to have the symptoms of the stomach flu... puking n the runs n feeling like utter crap..... AND be in labor all at the same time....... eat tons of eggplant and pineapple(preferABLY NOT TOGETHER, GROSS) and drink 8-10 glasses of red rasberry leaf tea... brings on and strengthens contractions..... and the tea helps strengthen your pelvic floor... all worked for me... i wanted her out as soon as the doc said it was safe to give birth so at 38 wks i was determined and i had her at 38 wks (also pushed her out in 10 mins) good luck
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 7:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Oh yea, and everything you take your baby will take.
    Anonymous

• Castor oil makes your bowel muscles contract (which causes diarrhea). When your bowel muscles contract it puts pressure on your uterus. Straining to poop in the bathroom does the same thing...neither work to stimulate labor. Those that have said that it DOES work probably would have went into labor anyway because the baby will come when it's ready if you have a healthy baby and uterus. Trying to rush the process could have serious repercussions.

Only your doctor should initiate labor before it starts naturally.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 7:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• DO NOT TAKE IT. one is that it is so nasty, the taste is so bad that it is not worth it at all. trust me my last pregnancy i tried it. it is so bad it will make you puke and have major runs which is what can help with labor. also it can make your baby pass a bowl while still inside you so that is very dangerouse. again not worth it at all. i have heard that it does work but with me it started contractions but nothing that did anything and i ended up going a week and a half past my due date
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 7:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• oh please DON'T!!! did it with #2 and was the dumbest thing i've EVER done!

make me puke for almost a day and nothing got labour going like it was supposed to.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• it doesnt acutally INDUCE labor it cause your uterus to get irritated to maybe start labor...A Dr. will sometimes tell a woman who is PAST her due date to take it. But NEVER before..it can cause strong contraction and can cause the placenta to tear about from the uterus causing SERIOUS BLEEDING...and it also just gives you the runs like everyone else said...so sorry...

Try something less harsh!!!
    rosie2guns

Answer by rosie2guns at 8:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2010