to cook or not to cook?

I have been married 22 yrs. Up until we had children I worked full time. My husband has always worked full time. My youngest is now 18. I have worked part time (2 days a wk) for the last 6 yrs. I do all the household chores except taking the trash to the dump on Sats ( altho I do help with that) and I stopped mowing the lawn 4 yrs ago. Everything else is mine. Here's where I want opinions. I HATE cooking and everything that goes with it....cleaning up, washing dishes, waiting on everyone. I am also not good at it. I am now almost 50 and think enough is enough and I only make dinner once or twice a week, the rest of the time I figure they can get their own and I'll get mine. Btw no one every offers to cook for me. Now I want opinions...do you think I am wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• Not at all! I really don't! Stock up on frozen dinners and plastic flatware for you and your DH, or tell him to cook!
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 7:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Nope, you are not wrong. I didn't learn to cook until I was 50. I reared three children and had no clue how to cook. They either cooked, we ate out or during the times I was married my husband cooked. You need to teach them all independence and let others take on responsibility. My adult dd's don't cook. Their men cook for them and the kids. I guess bc I didn't teach them to cook just as my mother didn't teach me how to cook. Take a break.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• NOPE you have cooked for enough years that it's time for someone to cook for you.
    Anonymous

• BE STRONG!! You are not wrong at all missy! Tell your DH whats up! =D
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• No you are not wrong. When my kids left home I stoped cooking so much too.

Answer by louise2 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i will NEVER stop cooking for my husband he works really hard and deserves a good meal. Do not get me wrong I would not be cooking for my adult children
    Anonymous

• If your children are grown or if they have moved out of the house then why cook big meals? If your children are grown and still living at home then surprise for them: they need to learn how to cook and clean up after themselves. Tell DH what is up, tell him you don't enjoy the cooking, cleaning, and all that comes with it, that you would prefer to have a little more "me" time as you feel you've done your part raising the kids and cooking for them, that you don't like having to continue on doing it. Chances are he'll understand and you'll finally get a relief from cooking.
    AWomansMind

Answer by AWomansMind at 9:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2010