Being a first time mom I didnt realize how much babies cry. I have twin girls who are almost 8 weeks old and they cry alot

I change, feed and hold them and it seems like nothing makes them happy the only time that they are happy is when they are eating or sleeping. Im alone with them all day everyday and I just want to know what else I can do for them cause Im starting to get overwhelmed and frustrated. When do they get to be happy babies and less independant? And is that asking to much? Just any advice would be helpful thanks

Navytwins

Asked by Navytwins at 7:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Really, they will outgrow it Hon. After you have fed, changed them, etc. just lay them in their cribs and let them fuss. They aren't going to get hurt and you will feel alot better. You don't have to constantly cater to them.
    Anonymous

• Did you mean MORE independent?

Some babies cry more than others. My two year old was great, my nine month old makes me want to rip my hair out and make a gag out of it to shut her up with sometimes. I love them both though. I would suggest maybe getting somebody like a family member to live with you and help out if that's possible. Otherwise, there is no way to tell when/if they will become less dependent.

Just put them down and let them cry in their room if they ever become too much to handle and pick them back up when you've calmed down.

Good luck.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 7:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Some babies cry a lot some don't. My son cried constantly. When they are older try a bouncy swing that hangs in a doorway that can really help. Otherwise just make sure they don't look like they are in pain. Talk to a doctor about trying different foods if they are on formula.  Try moving their legs up and down, some babies have trouble with gas.  Mostly just know it's not like this forever.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Get a headset to a cd player or stereo system that's cushiony and wear it often. It will help your nerves by simply quieting the noise of the cries but you can still absolutely hear every cry and sound. Having a baby monitor on top of that will help too if you want.

Do you have a partner or other support who can give you time off in the evenings? If not see if you can get respite care from a church of another mom who's children are grown or a teenager to help you get some routine weekly or daily time for yourself.
    I raised three kids pretty much myself without my husband around for different reasons.

It is hard to be alone I know with babies. I know.

Do you have baby swings? or 1 baby swing. If you can get a little bit of quiet in your ears, no lie, you'll be able to be more calm yourself. By doing this your not medicating babies or yourself or drinking to have quiet but simply covering your ears.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 7:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I know exactly how you feel. My twins just turned 8 and half months old. IT does get better I promise. Are they colicy by chance? If you're doing formula, try a gentlease or similar formula, that worked for DS. If you don't have some baby swings or bouncers, see if you can find them. HOnestly swings and bouncers have been a life saver for me. From about 3 weeks and on DH has worked nights, it is SO very hard. Maybe you should also talk to your doc about your feelings. Exhaustion can really worsen or even be a catalyst for post partum depression. If you need to talk please PM me. I'm in a mothers of twins group, which you can find on my profile page under my groups! Remember, the babies crying all the time is really not your fault. Sometimes babies are very fussy. And when you have two babies, even the happiest babies can really seem like they are always fussing. Please PM if you need anything!
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• OH and some tips for colic aside from swings: Try massaging their abdomens from right to left. Milicon is great, but if you can find gripe water it works wonders. I've also added ginger and chammomile to my baby's bottles (same stuff that is in gripe water) in small amounts when I couldn't find it or ran out. And I don't know if you are using binkies, but they have also come in handy.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Are you able to wear one or both of them? Being close to Mommy can help calm them, and a sling or carrier can keep your hands free to do other things around the house while they are still being comforted. I never had twins, but I know there are some carriers where you can wear one baby on each hip, or one on the front and one on the back. Otherwise, wear one baby while the other is in a swing or bouncy seat.
    Some crying is normal, and they will outgrow it. It's possible that they could have colic if the crying is constant. See if you can get a friend or family member to help for an afternoon so you can take a nap and a hot bath and relax a little, or even go out to lunch and a movie by yourself. I know it's hard to be home all day with 1 baby, and you are one tough momma for doing it with 2.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• aww hun 1st time mom with twins....*hugs
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• There are wraps that will allow you to carry both of them at the same time. That will help you immensely. Go here to see how: http://www.alongfortheride.biz/Articles.asp?ID=264  

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2010