Follow Up To the NewFound Witch Book...

Yesterday I posted a question about the book I am writing for Newfound Witches. Many of you stated you felt there were many out there. I have read many of these "newbie" books and felt as if they were all missing something. Which is why I started mine. I wanted to write something that covered the "how to" of daily life. How to meditate, how to use tools, how to keep herbs, how to bless your home, how to pray even... but most importantly how to incorporate your beliefs and practices in to daily life.

When I was just starting I read every "beginner" book I could find, but they all left me with real questions. They were about the history and beliefs more than they were about every day things and I felt like I had all the technical knowledge but none of the actual no how. Being alone in my learning I didn't have the option of asking someone to walk me through it. So I wanted to write a "hand book" so to speak...

cont. below.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My question is this... What books would you recommend if you feel that there are enough "starter" books out there. I like to think I have all the books in my library that any new (or advanced) witch could want. But if there are some on your lists I am missing I will definitely get them.

Currently I have the largest local Pagan library in my area and lend out many to those who wish to read them. So, if there are others I should have, I would like to add them!
    Anonymous

• Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham has many things that you said are missing from most books. I have heard (but never have read it myself) that The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft, 3rd Edition by Denise Zimmermann and Katherine A. Gleason also is an excellent book for the newbie witch.
    This is another book i've never read that is for beginners Wicca for Beginners: Fundamentals of Philosophy & Practice by Thea Sabin
    Here's another by Scott Cunningham The Truth About Witchcraft Today
    Silver RavenWolf (although i do not recommend her) also has a few books for the new witch.

And there are many more of course. at least a couple of these i KNOW contain such things as "How to meditate, how to use tools, how to keep herbs, how to bless your home, how to pray even"
    I hope this helps.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I like the way you are branching off from a basic beginners book, toward something a little more specific.. but other than the author I suggest (and he's not Pagan, by any means, but a good researcher of many topics)... outstandinglove posted most of what I've read.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• it might be that what you're looking for is somewhere between cunningham and starhawk..... deep spirit, with basic steps? I've always found cunningham to be a little...... froofy?

we have a book in our house called "circle round: raising kids in the goddess tradition" which covers a lot of basics, but I think it still might leave you fallling short for an adult....
    and some of it, you will just learn as you go!
    herbwifery, for instance, is a practice hard to glean from a book, though there are so many out there devoted to the care of plants, it's just that you're looking for specific herbs. you might try gleaning wisdom from non-pagan-specific sources. (Susun Weed is a great herbwife author for some of that!)
    MamaBird76

Answer by MamaBird76 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Like outstandinglove said, Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham is a great book.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 10:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2010