Would you get pregnant if you didn't have insurance or the money to cover the maternity care?

My husband wants to have another baby. We don't have insurance through his company and couldn't pay out of pocket for maternity care. He doesn't see anything wrong with having me use medicaid to cover it. I'm torn over that being a wise decision. Is it okay to plan a pregnancy knowing you will have to get on medicaid to pay for your prenatal care?? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I didn't do it on purpose! I got my tubes tied after my second child.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 8:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I had that with my first it wasn't exactly planned but I was thrilled, and medicaid covers more than regular insurance, we miss it this time. It is just how you feel about it. You pay taxes so why shouldn't you benefit from a program you help fund? It isn't like you will be on it forever just during pregnancy and post pardom period. I would make sure that you qualify for it first though.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i wouldnt do it on purpose. i mean if one slipped passed and it happend then there isnt much you can do, but to try and do it i dont think is the best idea. thats just my opinion. i am not trying to bash or anything.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 8:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Certainly not on purpose!
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Oh, we definitely qualify for it. My kids are on it, because of my husband's job not offering us insurance. Once he has been there a year we can get it. But if we get pregnant now, I wouldn't be able to use it for the pregnancy. It will be considered a preexisting condition. I had heard I could get a midwife for free, but not so sure on the homebirth stuff!
    Anonymous

• If you feel that you're good parents who will raise your child to be responsible, productive, compassionate citizen, I say GO AHEAD!
    Anonymous

• No way. The maternity & delivery fees are just the beginning & a very small portion of the overall cost of raising a baby. It's not a very responsible thing to plan a pregnancy knowing that you have no insurance or the finances to provide well for the child. Medicaid doesn't provide for the day to day necessities such as clothes, shoes, diapers, food, education etc. What if, God forbid, the child has an illness or condition that requires lifelong medical attention or care? Medicaid isn't gonna provide the quality, long-term care you would need. If I were you, I would think long & hard about making this decision. It could really put a hardship on your relationship as well as your family in the long run after the medicaid has run out & you're left on your own to provide for another child for the next 18 years.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• This is incredibly irresponsible. You have a child now who will need a college education. You have two adults who need to save for retirement.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• It's a hard choice to make. Some women CAN'T get on any insurance for many reasons: weight, previous cesarean, etc. I can't for those two reasons and because I've had depression issues in the past. No private insurance will ever cover me. The jobs my husband has had hasn't really offered much in the way of insurance if any at all. So, we've done without insurance. We did get pregnant with this baby and we were trying for it and I did go on medical assistance because of it. And yeah, it's been hard at times taking care of our child because we don't have a lot of money. We even moved overseas for DH to get a job that would hopefully help us get more money. It didn't work and now, four years after having my daughter, I'm pregnant again. The national insurance here barely covers anything and other concerns with the medical care here now has me deciding to go back to the states where I will try to get medical assistance again.
    Simply_Janeen

Answer by Simply_Janeen at 7:22 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• As for the college education thing, college is one of the biggest financial scams on the planet. I swear, all it does is help you get a job that once upon a time a high school degree was good enough for. Most students who graduate end up with a ton of debt and no way of paying them off. Just a waste of money, IMO.
    Simply_Janeen

Answer by Simply_Janeen at 7:23 AM on Feb. 1, 2010