How do you deal with "grandma?"

My MIL lives with us, or rather she thinks we live with her. . . No matter the case. . . "Grandma" thinks she knows best and likes to try and dictate our lives. Tonight she even went as far as bringing home her sister's grand-kids because she feels my DD is not socialized enough. This is not the first time she has done this. She tries to tell us where we are going, what we need to do and how to raise my DD. So naturally. . . my question is "how do you deal with your MIL?" **And yes, I have tried to put my foot down. . . but she doesn't listen!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• I live with my parents...and my mother is the same way. Constantly telling me how to do things...what's best for my children...AND she does things behind my back...after telling my 2yo DD she can't have something...my mother gives it to her anyway....and now my daughter doesn't have any repsect for me cuz whatever I wont give her, or let her do...Grammy will...and it's driving me completely insane. We are moving out this summer...that is our only option...before our 8 month old son gets tainted by his grandmother as well...lol its one thing when they just visit every now and again...even once a week...but living with them, will drive you insane....
    Anonymous

• Don't live in the same house! That's suicide! lol DH needs to tell her she needs to be somewhere else lol...
    Anonymous

• You need to lay down ground rules that she needs to follow if she is to continue to live with you. She needs to understand that she lives with you not the other way around, and that you are adults and the parents or you DD, and you will be deciding how you live your life and how you DD is raised. I would tell her that if she can't agree to that and back off that she might want to go live with one of her other children because you won't tolerate it anymore. This sort of thing can ruin good marriages so you have to be firm and you both need to be a united front on this or she will try to divide and conquer.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• yea. if she is living with you, then you need to let her know that she either needs to back off or find somewhere else to live. If you live with her i suggest finding a way out ASAP.
    trust me. i lived with my MIL for over a year. The only way to fully deal with the issue is to make your point as clear as glass.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• MIL needs to find her own place. Have your husband talk to her about finding a place of her own.
    Anonymous