How do you correct your child who throws a fit?

My son will be 13 months old tuesday. Here lately the fit throwing has gotten worse. Any ideas how to correct him? We do believe in spankings when needed. He gets them occassionally but it doesn't phase him when he is throwing a fit.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore him, he is doing it for attention and even spanking is attention, when my DD does it I leave her where she is and walk away. If she does it in public I just stand there and watch until she is done, I won't give attention to it and she has learned to do it less because it doesn't get what she wants.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• throw a fit back
    lol
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• At 13 months spanking isn't gonna do anything. When mine (almost 13 months) starts getting to grumpy/fitty I will tell say "if you want to act like that you can do it in your own room" And then I just take him to his room. He usually comes out immediately but is often done with his fit. If he's still fitting then he goes right back. I used the same tactic with my now 6 year old and it works great. Kids NEED an outlet for their frustration and fits are really all they have. As adults we can vent, gripe, eat chocolate, but little ones don't have any other tools at their disposal other than fits. Just make it a rule that a fit is allowed but it has to be done in his own room. By the point my oldest was 3, he would go back to his room on his own when he felt a fit coming on and come back to the rest of the house when he was done. the only "rule" was no destruction of property. Good Luck
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 9:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2010