Remodeling Our Basement

Hello My husband and I are currently remodeling our basement it has plumbing in it ,and electricity to it already,but is just a normal unfurnished basement with concrete floors and concrete walls. We are going to make it a nice little apartment for our son and his family so they can get on their feet. We are wondering how much it would cost to do this.it is big enough for 4 small br's 1 bath kitchen and living room.but we would need the supplies to do it with and need to see how much it would cost to hire someone to do this for us. it also has a garage door that we plan on taking out and putting a sliding door where it is if anyone has redone a basement like this or knows about this stuff please let me know lol we also would have to buy like bathtub sinks counters cabinets appliances and all that

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• i JUST watched a basement get redone that already had those things in it..they just had to redo a few things..depending on how extravigant you go then i would say closer to 15,000....what your doing is comendable, but as far as the pp, i would think about working out how long this is going to be for....it will end up adding value to your home though in the long run!!! Home stuff is so fun to me.. is there a reason you want 4 BRs down there!? I would think 2 and a living room would be plenty!!! but thats just me...contact a contractor (multiple if you can) and see if you can get estimates..and go out spend a few days pricing things like flooring, and appliances!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• dh is a contractor - just did an estimate for about the same thing. $10,000 was the total they came up with.
    Anonymous

• Well, as much as I admire what you are trying to do... please stop to think about this: If you are helping your son get back on his feet, it is not really helping him by taking his family in. What's going to happen ten years down the road when you and your husband decide to retire... you are going to be stuck with this huge mortgage payment, or payment of some kind, plus another family living in your basement. Trust me when I say this.. my parents are in your situation right now. My father has retired, but he and my mother are forced to live in their home and pay huge bills because they have a child and his family in their home as well. It's not healthy for anyone involved. My parents are at the age they need to get out and see things while they are still in semi-good health, but they are not able to for fear of what my brother and his family will do in the home without them there.
    Anonymous

• CONT: They can barely afford to live on their ss. It's very bad. Please just consider all this before you add this onto your home and have the family move in. It's really better for him to try to get out on his own. If he has to move to find work, so be it. You do not want to be saddled with this stuff when it's time for you to retire.
    Anonymous

• I am the Op & My son has a job but with the price of rent these days and with what he makes he cannot do it so he was going to pay us rent it would just be a little cheaper and it was going to be a 4 br because he has a daughter and son and he needed an office because he is very very well gifted with fixing and repairing electronics and was hoping to do side jobs as well to support his family thanks for caring but I would rather them have somewhere then no where to live not with 2 grandbabys
    Anonymous

• Look up some remodeling things on HGTV.com....they have great tips and money saving ideas....four BRs would be nice if you can get them to fit...i would honestly get outside opinions before you start to get this rolling...see what kind of floor plan and everything you can work out to get the most bang for your buck..this is what family is for....its nice you want to help, i would just say get multiple opinions so you dont get taken!!!!!1 GL
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2010