Would you get pregnant if you didn't have insurance or the money to cover the maternity care?

My husband wants to have another baby. We don't have insurance through his company and couldn't pay out of pocket for maternity care. He doesn't see anything wrong with having me use medicaid to cover it. I'm torn over that being a wise decision. Is it okay to plan a pregnancy knowing you will have to get on medicaid to pay for your prenatal care?? What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Parenting

• I wouldnt do it on purpse
    And if you cant afford the insurance now, how will you aford the things a baby needs?
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I'd wait. We are waiting to have #3 for some of the same reasons.
    Anonymous

• Not on purpose.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• you can always get turned down for medicaid-i wouldn't count on it being a guarantee.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• It depends how you are financially. When my cousin had a second child she was on Medicaid and her DH's insurance. DH's didn't cover it, but medicaid did. She was a SAH, and they could afford another mouth to feed. It just so happened her DH's work coverage DIDN'T cover pregnancy, and that was that.

If financially you are FINE, but just don't have a good insurance plan, then go for it. YOU HAVE MEDICAID, and YES they will cover it. Do you see your insurance situation CHANGING in the future?
    Anonymous

• In re-reading I see you DON'T already HAVE Medicaid. There is no guarantee you'll even get approved for it just because you are pregnant. My cousin already HAD IT due to having RH.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely not. It is incredibly irresponsible. You need to take care of the child that you have, save for college and retirement.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2010