How do I get my 3 year old to stop sucking her fingers?

Kara508

Asked by Kara508 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Pute cute bandaids on them, or offer to paint her nails if she can keep them out of her mouth. Or you can get sour tasting stuff to paint on so she won't want to suck on them. Ask her dr for suggestions, or find a pediatric dentist to get advice from. I know kids come up with all kinds of habits and nervous ticks, but I really think you should try to stop this one before she gets old enough to lose teeth and get permanent ones.
    I have a couple cousins who sucked their thumbs until they were halway through middle school, and one only stopped after some major othrodontic treatments ( before she got braces, they put a device in her mouth so her thumb would not fit, and she had to be on a semi-liquid diet for several weeks til she stopped trying to put her thumb in her mouth).
    Anonymous

• That sounds good, never thought about bandaids. Thanks.
    Kara508

Answer by Kara508 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• tell her that big girls don't suck their fingers and that shes starting to become a big girl now. show her how it doesn't look right, by you sucking your fingers, and you can also tell her not to suck on her fingers if she's hungry to tell you and you will give her something to eat. lol.but if its already abad habbit then you could do what was mentioned above me.good luck' :)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:45 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I tried band-aids, hot sauce, the OTC stuff that you brush on their nails to get them to stop(some sort of non-toxic, plant based bitter oil), taking away the security blanket...Everything I could think of for my dd!!! My hubbyish's twin sister is 41 and still sucks her thumb and I did NOT want my dd to do that! What got her to stop sucking her thumb at the age of 6, was she pulled out her second baby tooth ALL by herself...and decided it was time to stop.
    My soon-to-be 4 year old still sucks his thumb, and I am hoping he'll stop himself like his now 7.5 y/o sister did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Feb. 1, 2010