Question about filing my taxes...

I received a W2 for my short term disability payments but the payments weren't considered "wages". No federal or state taxes were taken out. Since my short term disability payments are nontaxable, do I have to file that with my tax return?

ang0343

Asked by ang0343 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• NO ! !
    Anonymous

• If you received a W-2, then yes. It will be reported to the IRS too. If it's not taxable, box one should be empty or say 0.

Whether or not the income is taxable depends on the type of disability plan your employer has. If you are recieving a W-2 with Box 1 income, that means it is most likely taxable.
    Anonymous

• Yes. Every W2 and 1099 gets reported

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Yes, any and all income has to be filed. Especially if you got a w2 for it.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 8:03 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I think they passed a law that the first $12,000 of unemployment is not taxable. And then after that you do have to pay taxes.
    Honestly though talk to a tax adviser about it. If you don't file or you don't file correctly you can get in trouble.
    Anonymous