?? about filing my taxes

I received a W2 for my short term disability payments but the payments weren't considered "wages". No federal or state taxes were taken out. Since my short term disability payments are nontaxable, do I have to file that with my tax return?

ang0343

Asked by ang0343 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• call h&r block.....
    Anonymous

• NO ! !
    Anonymous

• The IRS or H&R block are the people you should be asking.
    Anonymous

• I dont think so. Like you said, it wasn't taxable, so you dont have to file it.

I would help you out a lot if you filed your own taxes this year with TurboTax. They can answer any question and you get the heads up on tax breaks, that H&R Block doesnt tell you about.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• If you rec'd an official tax form then there is *somewhere* on your return that you should include the info. Is the form actually a w2 or does it have some other form number on it? If it is then you most certainly do need to include that in your income portion of your return.
    jmsmrs

Answer by jmsmrs at 9:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• forgot to add, just because taxes weren't taken out it doesn't mean you don't owe taxes on the income. My dh had short term disability for a surgery a couple years ago and though they didn't take taxes out it just meant we owed the taxes on our return.
    jmsmrs

Answer by jmsmrs at 9:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Yes. Any income is income and has to be reported.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• If you do not OWE anything to the government you DO NOT have to file your taxes.
    I don't know anything about disability payments and whether they have to be filed. However, I do know that if you DO NOT owe anything then you do not have to file. Go to IRS.gov and find out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2010