Alexia is 15 months is it to early to changer from crib to bed?

Hi everybody,

It's my first so I'm wondering when are our babies ready to leave the crib and start sleeping in bed?
And how should I make this change easier and fun for her??

Thanks, :)

lexilumom

Asked by lexilumom at 9:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My LO has been sleeping in a toddler bed since he was 11 months. It's time to transition for crib to bed when they start climbing out of the crib. That's what I've always heard. You can find toddler beds with built in rails on the side or you can buy one.
    Anonymous

• My DD is 16 months old but I don't think she is ready to move out of her crib yet. For one, I don't think she would just stay in her bed to go to sleep if she could get right up and I don't think she would really understand yet that she is supposed to stay in bed. Secondly, I don't know what she would do if she were to wake up in the night and get out of bed- like if she would go into another room or know to come into my room. I thinks she is just too young to know what to do if she got up. I've always heard to leave your child in a crib until the can climb out of it since then it becomes a safety hazard. Whenever the time comes to move the beds you could make it fun for her by involving her in the process- picking out the new bed and bedding, a special new pillow, etc. And I think there are bedrails you can get to prevent falling, or toddler beds that are small and low to the ground so baby doesn't move into a huge new bed.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• oh thats a pretty name:) I personally leave them in the crib as long as I can. if they are content then there is no rush unless there is another one on the way. Now if they climb out then yeah its time to change. My youngest is 22mos and still in her crib.
    Anonymous

• When the child switches over depends on your child's and your comfort. If she is climbing out of her crib, doesn't like being in her crib, or you need the crib for a new baby then it's time to switch. My son will be moved to a toddler bed when my daughter grows out of her cradle. I'll be sad when she does though, because my dad made the cradle and she's our last baby. Anyhow. That's how we'll know. Unless my son climbs out of it or shows signs that he no longer wants to be in the crib.

Let her be apart of the toddler bed buying process. Show her ones online and ask her "Do you want to slip in a big girl bed like mommy?" and see how she reacts when she sees pictures of them. Talk to her about them like they're fun. Then when you bring it home allow her to be apart of the building process. (if it needs to be assembled) As well as letting her help dress the bed. Then she'll get excited adn feel like it's hers.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Thanks to all for your advice!!!
    lexilumom

Answer by lexilumom at 6:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2010