Being Induced

How early will your doctor's induce? And will they induce if they are asked to or only if baby isn't coming or problems arise?

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You shouldnt be done early MOST wont do it til your due date.
    SOME do it a week early, but you shouldnt unless you have issues medical issues not just not wanting to be pregnant. If you try to rush it even with medical induction you run a higher risk of csection.

• My midwives would only induce if there were complications.
    **And the complications have to outweigh the risks for induction.

Induction is risky~ if you're considering it, be sure to get well-informed.

Answer by doulala at 9:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I was induced with my first at 37 weeks because of medical problems. My doctor won't induce until after your due date unless you have medical issues.

• A good doctor or midwife will only induce if there are medical reasons that make it necessary. Just like doulala said, induction has some serious risks involved, and I don't think if most women were fully informed of the risks that they would agree to do it. Why rush natire and try to fix something that's not broken?

• My doctor wouldn't induce until a week after my due date, but some of my friend's doctors induced them a week early and they told me their doctors said by law they cannot induce earlier than 39 weeks. I don't know how true that is.

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My doctor lets me go a week over usually but for some reason with my son i had 2 weeks ago she let me go 9 days over my due date

Answer by jsimonds220 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• mine will do it no ealier than a if he is going on vacation and he doesn't think you will make it he will induce you. (He doesn't have an oncall dr they tried it before and it didn't work out). Not sure if he will do it if asked. He asked me when pg with my youngest I said yes. I am small and had to end up with forceps with number 1 she was 8.1 so he wanted to try to induce me early to make it easier for me and make the baby smaller, but that didn't quiet work out cause she still ended up being bigger 8.7 most doctors do make you wait until due date though

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Every doctor is different, honestly.
    My OB wouldn't do it until my due date or after. Not anytime in between unless a serious issue arose.

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• A good doctor/midwife will only induce for true medical reasons, there are many risks involved with inductions and they should only be done when there is no other option.

Answer by Cynthje at 8:56 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i don't care how early my doctor would induce, i would never do that to my baby or myself unless there was some sign that my baby was in trouble (like high BP and proteinuria combined, or something like that).

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2010