Medicine while Breastfeeding?

I am still breastfeeding my 8month old son, two-three times a day and one -two times at night. I need to take a nasal spray due to allergies and ear aches, but the nasal spray I use has steriods in it, I don't normally use it, (i don't like using any medicines really) but when my ears get this bad its my option right now. Is it alright to use this while I am breastfeeding or will it affect my baby and I should just try a saline solution?
Thank you moms for your help.

childofGod51509

Asked by childofGod51509 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Health

• You can check www.kellymom.com for a list of medications that are safe during breastfeeding, or contact La Leche League for more information: 1-877-4-LA-LECHE.
    Anonymous

• alsp check the web site for the med it should say something about it on there
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• great idea thank you so much...
    childofGod51509

Answer by childofGod51509 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I'd try the saline first to see if that helps at all, before going with the steroids. If you get no relief from the saline, you'd have to weigh the risks vs benefits of the other medicine. Chances are that very little of it would actually pass through your milk to the baby, but I would hate to say for sure that it's safe.
    Checking with the manufacturer of the medicine probably won't help you much - just to cover their butts they will probably say to "Consult a medical professional prior to use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding" Usually that's because the mfgr hasn't researched it.
    There is a book called "Medications and Mother's Milk" by Thomas Hale that has extensive lists of medicaines and how they affect breastfeeding. Most La Leche League Leaders have a copy of the book, and you might be able to reference a copy at your library or maybe a local pharmacy.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Thank you, i researched it a little bit and went ahead with the saline, Im not suffering enough to put my baby at risk for anything.
    childofGod51509

Answer by childofGod51509 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2010