when did you have your membranes stripped?

im 37 weeks and 6 days pregnant. as of last week i was 3cm dilated, 75% effaced, and at -1 station. i have been having painful but irregular contractions for 4 days now! all day today every time i have a contraction i get really bad pain in my lower back. i started loosing my plug at 35 weeks. today i lost 2 big clumps of it that had small streaks of blood in them. im extremely uncomfortable and irritated with these contractions. and im wondering about getting my membranes stripped. at my next appt i will be 38 weeks and 1 day. could i have my membranes stripped then? how far along were you when you had it done? did you ask, or did your dr suggest it? and did it put u into labor? please share your stories!

momma_2b_2010

Asked by momma_2b_2010 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had it done a couple days before my "due date" and then 3 more times prior to giving birth at 42 weeks. My midwife suggested it because she knew I would refuse induction and she doesn't like to induce anyway.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• with my first pregnancy i was wanting to induce labor on my own starting at 38 weeks. i tried everything! then i had my memranes stripped at 39 weeks. went into labor 6 days later. my point? my baby came out when she was ready and it was time. i totally understand being uncomfortable and just wanting it to be over with, but don't force labor to happen until your baby is ready. the longer inside of you, the better for baby. :)
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Some babies take a little longer to grow, so I agree that you shouldn't try to hard to rush things. Stripping membranes will only work if labor is very close anyway. Babies are easier to take care of when they're on the inside!
    Anonymous

• I have never had it done. I just waited until the baby was ready.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• can some one give me their personal experience with having their membranes stripped? i never said that i was going to do it, i just want to gather some information, and then im probably going to talk to my dr about it.
    momma_2b_2010

Answer by momma_2b_2010 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My doctor stripped mine at 39 wks 3 days (dilated to "maybe a 1", not effaced), went into labor 3 days later. I think that's a little too long for the stripping of the membranes to have had an effect, and with how suddenly my labor started, I really don't think it had anything to do with the membrane-stripping. People's experiences differ; some people claim the pain is worse than labor, but for me it just caused some minor cramping and discomfort. I think the difference might have to do with how far you're "progressed"? Like if you're dilated farther it might hurt more? I don't know, it's just a theory. Either way, like PPs have said, it won't work if labor isn't imminent anyway.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I had mine stripped on a Thursday and ended up getting induced the following Monday. It hurt like hell (at the time)... but when everything is put into perspective, it wasn't that bad. I was 2 days before my due date when my midwife stripped my membranes.
    Feel free to send me a message if you have questions I can help with.
    evasmom178

Answer by evasmom178 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i had it done about a week before my due date w/my first child and he was born 3 days after his due date anyways. so, in my case, it didn't work.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 10:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• also, as far as the experience itself- it didn't hurt that bad, but felt a bit crampy afterwards. i didn't do it w/my second child and won't with any future kids either. not because of the pain, as it wasn't much, but because i find it didn't work. and the more i've looked into it, i wouldn't have let that dr do it either, had i known what she was doing. she kind of told me as she did it, instead of giving me a choice. i'm all for letting the baby grow and come on it's own, so if i'd known what she was doing, i'd have stopped her.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 10:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I had 2 midwives, and their practice is under the wing of a group of OB's, and the OB's don't like women to be "overdue". The midwives offered to strip membranes and see if it helped get things started so I wouldn't have to discuss induction with the OB's.
    The actual stripping of membranes was a little bit uncomfortable, just like a pap test is a little uncomfortable, but it wasn't unbearable. Nothing at all like actual labor. I think I was dilated to 3cm when they did it. It caused a little mild cramping for an hour or so, and I lost a bit of the mucous plug each time, but it didn't really have any effect. The last time I had it done was a Tuesday and I was a week & a half past my due date. My next appt was scheduled for Thursday afternoon and I got to cancel it and avoid arguing with the head OB about induction since I had the baby Thursday morning.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2010