Self Breast Examinations

I'm 33 yrs old and by now should know how to do this but the fact is...I have huge breasts and while the charts and drs tell you how to check yourself, isn't it a little different for big breasts? How would I check myself and know if something is wrong if all I ever feel are lumps of fat?

Lilly76

Asked by Lilly76 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Health

• I also have large breasts, but I know how my breasts feel and if I feel something that wasn't there before, i would get checked.
    Anonymous

• A pharmacy might sell the gel breast form to help detect lumps. But the general rule is whatever lump you find if it's also in the other breast in the same place it's just about guaranteed to be normal. If a lump is sore or hard and you've not felt it before get it checked out. I have had rock solid cysts in my breasts so hard my breast surgeon was sure I had multiple breast tumors. We were both shocked when the ultrasound showed them to be cysts filled up to the tops.

Take your index and middle finger and make circles around one breast at a time while laying flat on a bad without a pillow. Slowly circle each breast and breast gently but assuredly. You can also go to the American Cancer Society they'll have diagrams of breast exams plus so will Y Me Breast Organization.

Any worrisome lump, get checked out by a breast surgeon.

Good for you for taking care of yourself!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• The point of self breast exams is to familiarize yourself with your breasts so you'll notice if something is different. As long as you're thorough in your self exams and know that the "lumps of fat" you feel this month feel the same as they did last month, it's serving its purpose.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• It's no different for larger breasts other than the fact that you have more area to cover and it should take you a little longer to check throroughly. Otherwise same procedure.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• When you do monthly exams (five days after the first day of your period), you get to know the normal lumps and bumps.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Thank you all for your replies. I will take them all to heart and put into practice. I've never heard of the gel foam stuff before. The only gel's I'm used to on myself is the gel they use for sonograms (although you never really get used to that grose feeling) and the hair gel I use. :-) Thank you all for your concern. I don't think anything is wrong but my mom found tumors in her arm pits & I've often wondered if I'm O.K. Sometimes my breasts feel sore or look weird to me but other than that...I'm probably ok. Thanks a bunch ladies.
    Lilly76

Answer by Lilly76 at 6:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2010