How do you buy knives?

I bought a cheap set when we first moved, but lord knows they barely cut anything?! I need a really good knife that cuts/chops through anything, a versitile one would be nice, like one that could cut a tomato and potatoe and meat...i dont know if such thing exists...anyone know any good brands or what i should look for!!!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I bought my husband some knives from Cutco and we love them! They are a little pricey but well worth it. Plus they have a forever warrenty so if they ever wear out they replace them... check them out at cutco.com.
    Jjoneslagrange

Answer by Jjoneslagrange at 10:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• You want to buy knives that are carbon steel blend. Pure steel knives don't hold an edge well and are near impossible to resharpen. A good set of knives should last about 25 years.

Look for knives that are full tang-- the metal goes all the way down the handle. Make sure you get to hold them and feel how they weigh in your hand. If the handle isn't comfy for you then you will hold them wrong and cut yourself.

Chef's Choice and Henkle make good knives. If you have small hands then check out Chef's Choice. Henkle has economy lines now. The quality has gone down. Wustoff is good as well. Make sure you get the ones that are hand forged. Not stamped.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I bought the most amazing set of Oneida knives not long ago. OMG they cut through everything like a hot knife going through butter! I've never had anything like them. I had no idea knives could be so sharp!

Answer by admckenzie at 10:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Cutco is the way to go!!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My husband and I have "Chicago Cutlery". They're really great knives that really hold up nicely.
    Regardless of what knife you buy, you DO have to take care of them.

1. Resharpen them when they get dull.
    2. DO NOT put good knives in the dishwasher as that will put them. Which is where bacteria can grow, and it can cause the knives to rust easier. Dishwashing itself causes knives to rust easier anyhow.
    3. Store them in a wooden knife stand. As that will protect them from getting banged around and all knitched up.

My parents used OXO, which is another great brand of knives.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Wusthof. LOVE them. You can get them on Amazon. Get a versatile one like a smaller chefs knife. DH and I are starting to collect them. He loves to cook and has always wanted top quality knives, so I researched and Wusthof seemed to get the best ratings overall. They are an excellent quality of knife. We have the 8" chefs knife and the paring knife and those perform most kitchen tasks quite well. SUPER sharp. And on Amazon you can normally find them on a good sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Classic-2-Piece-Knife-Starter/dp/B00005MEGG/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264995597&sr=1-13

Says dishwasher safe, but never ever put good knives in the dishwasher, just FYI.

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I have a butcher block full of Wustof and they're awesome. The Wustof steak knife set is on my wish list. :)
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 10:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

vances_mom

• I like smokymountainknifeworks.com a large selection with good prices.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• We have a set of Wustof Knives in butcher block they are incredible but with any good knife you do have to get them sharpened Nothing is worse then a dull knife.. We also have a few Cutco knifes for specific things which seem quite nice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2010