15 mo. old with fractured leg :(

Hey mommas! Yesterday my dad was carrying my daughter who is 15 months old and slipped on the ice. Luckily he fell so she landed on top of him but we still took her to the emergency room because she wouldn't walk. Turns out she has a small fracture in her leg below her knee. We are taking her to an orthopedic doctor this week but for now she is wearing a splint on her entire leg and isn't able to walk of course. A sad sight to see! I was just wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this with a child this young. How did you handle? All I know to do is give her extra lovins and make her as comfortable and happy as possible :)

Bears.Mommy

Asked by Bears.Mommy at 10:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Accidents happen. I hope your little one recovers fast!
    A friend of mine has a little boy who had a broken leg from a sliding board and a broken collar bone from playing horsey rides with his dad. Each time he had an injury, we got together for a little play group at her house so he would be able to play with legos with my kids and do puzzles and stuff even though we couldn't go to the park to play. He was way into finger painting, and they made cut-out cookies so he could help decorate them without moving around too much or walking. Of course, reading books and taking stroller rides works too (go to the mall or something if the weather is bad). I don't like to plop kids in front of the tv all the time, but in a situation where they are sick or hurt, I think cuddling and watching PBS kids or Noggin is a great way to spend an hour or so.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• OMG...Poor baby and Poor Momma! I have no advice I just wanted to say, that is terrible. :( Just give her extra cuddles and kisses.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• We did, my son was 12 months...his big sister was holding him and he wiggled loose. He had a cast for a few weeks he did very well with it and is fine now...at 5 years.

Try not to worry too much just love on her. She will likely not really notice much.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 10:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Alright seriously Anon, here's one for ya! I have fallen with ALL of my boys when they were little, I know right, TERRIBLE mother! When my oldest was 3 months old it hit 55 on Christmas and my MIL wanted a picture of all of us outside on christmas day, guess what I fell on a THIN shear of ice and down we went. He screamed, I cried but all was well and no one (except me) got hurt!

Fast forward to my youngest where I was walking down the stairs with him and some how tripped over MY OWN feet and fell down the stairs with him, again he screamed, I cried and he wasn't hurt. Few months later, my husband walked outside to put him in his car seat and he fell, bloodied up his elbow and YDS screamed, DH cried, and bled, I know we are terrible parents....geesh, get a life! Kids are built tough, otherwise they wouldn't survive getting INTO this world... OP, we have never had a broken bone, or anything, so I suppose Tylenol and cuddles!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Hi Everyone,

We've removed several answers from this question, and wanted to explain why.

We'd like Answers to be a place where everyone feels comfortable asking and answering questions. Ideally, when a mom posts a question in Answers, she'll get responses from other moms that address the question she's asking.

While debates around hot topics are welcomed and encouraged, personal attacks are not. We want everyone to feel comfortable debating their point of view about any topic without being personally attacked for their beliefs.

With that in mind, we have removed several answers from this question because they were personally attacking other members instead of discussing the original post.

//The CafeMom Admin Team
    CafeMom Admin

Answer by CafeMom Admin at 10:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Thanks for the words of encouragement ladies! And the ideas on fun things to do with her as well. I was wondering what on earth we were going to do for the next few weeks to stay occupied, especially since I'm a SAHM. It will be a good excuse to do fun things we normally wouldn't probably do.
    Bears.Mommy

Answer by Bears.Mommy at 10:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2010