South Beach Versus Glycemic Index

I was looking into doing south beach online or using ediets for GI. Which do you think is better. Experiences?

mamakrysoftwo

Asked by mamakrysoftwo at 10:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• GI is in medical journals. It's based on medically proven facts. SB is just some silly diet.
    Anonymous

• Diets and diet aids (if they even work) are temporary fixes. Unless you learn how to eat healthy for life, you will not be able to maintain a healthy weight and will stay on the gain/lose roller coaster - frustrating for you and hard on your body. Drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water every day. Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains (brown rice, whole grain bread, etc.) every day. Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables every day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat at least 2 servings of legumes every day. You will lose weight. You will have more energy. You will maintain a healthy weight. You will get sick less often. You will be setting a wonderful example for your children. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html
    Eat an apple or a big pile of vegetables before meals

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I did the South Beach plan with the suggestion and approval of my doctor to help gain control of my diabetes. It works. AS A SIDE EFFECT I also lost 12 lbs., 7 inches from my waist and 3 from my hips, not to mention my cholesterol dropped 100 points and my triglycerides over 300 pts., and I haven't gained anything back in the 10 months since I got past Phase 1. In fact, I've lost 5 more lbs. in the past 10 months just by following the maintenance part of SB. South Beach is more than just a diet plan, it teaches you how to eat in a healthier way if you stick with it beyond Phase 1. Healthier eating = healthier YOU.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I've done the low GI diet. It worked great for me. I would still be losing weight had I not gotten pregnant. I lost 12lbs quickly and painlessly before getting pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2010