Did you let yourself go after becoming a mom?

I have an 11 mos. old and I have to admit that I never let myself go during that time. Even when I was on maternity leave, I'd get up and brush my hair, put on a little makeup and look decent. It is just too depressing to me to become a mom and use it as an excuse to look like a bag lady. But so many people do!!! I was watching WHat Not to Wear and all the moms on there used their kids as the excuse for why they looked so crappy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't let my self go until my kids were teens. Not sure what happened except I had 14 surgeries and a lot of depression, was a single mom and never had enough money at the end of each month, no cs.....a few years ago I had to lose weight and get my act together for health reasons.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I have kinda let myself go. I mean, why waste my make up, that isn't cheap, to sit around my house, clean toilets, do laundry and run after my daughter. Why get into some tight jeans and a nice shirt to only get my daughters oatmeal on it, and I might as well be comfortable. I think about putting on make up some days, but then I think about how there is no reason to clog my pores for a whole day just so I don't look like a "bag lady" as you call it. I take care of myself when I leave the house when it matters most. I work out every day when my daughter takes a nap. So, yes my child is my excuse because it's hard to leave the room just to take a pee without her yelling for me or getting into something she shouldn't. Don't have time to be a beauty queen, her care comes first.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i never wear makeup i quit smoking 2 yrs ago yes i put on weight but im lossing it for me and im geting who i am back
    Anonymous

• I don't blame it on the kid, I blame it on the weight gain. Nothing fits right anymore so I stopped caring in other places as well.
    Anonymous

• i've never been big on makeup and perfect hair and clothes even before the baby, but for a long time I did wear maternity clothes when post partum, not because they still fit, but I didnt feel like getting all new clothes to fit my figure. i already had clothes, even though they were now baggy so why bother. I also had very damaged hair and wore it up all the time. but I finally got it chopped off for locks of love, and bought a few new items of clothing which really raised my self esteem. I also started working out, and going to playgroups. It was baby steps for me! I am still in the "let go" phase, but not as bad lol.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• nope, I'm the opposite.

I never used to care - I wore a uniform with a hat so hair andclothes were never an issue - makeup was not allowed (I'm a chef)

as soon as I had kids I found a new love for looking good.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Even when I was a youngin' if I didn't have to go anywhere that day, then I'd stay in my PJ's all day. It's not the most attractive look, but it's comfortable. I do get dressed if someone is coming over or I'm going out somewhere. I make myself presentable. There is no reason why I cannot get dressed even if I am staying home. I just choose not to. My kids are NEVER a reason for what I choose and don't choose to do. I make my choices, and I think it's sad and lame for people to put their douty look on their kids. It's their fault. Period.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• no i havent let my self go. physically anyway. even days when i dont get ready... i make sure i get ready and looking good before my husband comes homes from work, but most of the time i wake up get dressed, and do make-up. it makes me feel better. two things that have changed.... i dont wear heals everywhere (i use to seriously not own flat shoes, and now i do. but cute ones). and also i dont really have time for myself anymore. and that sucks. so i let my old self go. but not my old look.
    Anonymous

• I didn't lose it with having kids, but when I started working from home I kind of let myself go. It is too easy to get up, start working and put off showering and getting dressed. My husband told me it grosses him out, so now I am making a point to make sure I am showered and dressed before he gets home. One of my problems is that all have a business work clothes, and very few casual clothes other than sweats or work out wear. It is not like I want to sit around my house in business attire. I am starting to buy more flattering comfortable casual clothes which makes it easier. I need to get more of those types of outfits in my wardrobe so I can put on jeans, a nice fitted shirt and flats which are more appropriate for working at home. I don't put on make-up unless I am leaving the house, but I don't really need it. I do shower and do my hair everyday. I always want my husband to see me as sexy.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Before I ever had my son I wasn't big in to getting dresses up or putting make up on or fixing my hair if I didn't have to go anywhere. Now that my son is here I still dont do any of that unless I am going somewhere. My husband says I am beautiful no matter what I look like, and thats what matters the most to me...that even though i can look the worst ever he still thinks I am beautiful. I don't blame my son for my looks at all. Its my choice to dress up or stay in pjs all day. I have gained a lot more weight since my son was born, but thats because stress makes me gain weight very quickly. I am working on that slowly by incorporating more vigourous and active play time with my son.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 1, 2010