How much exercise is "enough"?

I'm trying to lose the 15 pounds I gained when I quit smoking (I lost 70 lbs of baby weight to put this back on...how nice). I work a lot during the week but I've been trying to eat healthier. I know they say to exercise for 30 minutes @ least 3 days a week but I just can't get into a routien. However, I do go in-line skating every weekend (roller blading) for about 2-3 hours. I really get my heart pumping and it's a good work out on your legs, but is this enough exercise to burn some fat?

I've never had to diet/workout in my life so I'm having some serious issues with it. Help anyone?

AidensMommy608

Asked by AidensMommy608 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Yes, also to burn fat you need to keep your heart rate at a medium level, not high level. And excessive amounts of excercise in one sitting can cause muscle tissue to deteriorate. I went through a personal trainer(charts work too!) and they can find the appropriate heartrate for your height, weight, and age to be in fat burning mode. Too much can make you burn out and fail later on. So be realistic.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Yeah....it's not like I'm gasping for air when I'm skating, just up to a normal level. I have a pulse checker on my MP3 player which helps...I just can't afford a personal trainer and certainly don't have time to take trips to the gym....=(
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• wow what did you do to lose 70lbs and you quit smoking good for you. I think you are doing good just keep it up and it will come off. I have learned not to beat myself up (still learning) when i have a gain for the week. It is so hard to lose it. Roller blading sounds like lots of fun and doing something you enjoy means your more likely to stick to it. Maybe check some excersie dvds out from the library. I just do lots of leg lifts and dance around and it helps along with regular excersie 30min 5 times a week. But it really what you can fit in. Congrats on your sucess.
    debmom07

Answer by debmom07 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Roller blading is a good thing and if it satisfies you good. Congratulations on the weightloss and quitting smoking!!! You might want to try either power 90 x or Taebo both very good dvd's
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2010

• Debmom-I did NOTHING to lose the 70 lbs I gained during my pregnancy....I nursed my son and it literally melted off. I was like WOW this is so easy! Now that I've put some on, and have finished nursing, I can't get rid of it =(
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 3, 2010