How do i get my son back on a shedule?

I have a 15 month old son and he was on a bedtime schedule for a long time. 9:00 pm every night we would go lay him in his crib and he would basically fall right asleep. Its like someone just flipped a switch. He fights and throws HUGE fits now and neither my husband or myself can control him. We are trying to be consistent and stick in there every night but it gets so bad that he starts to hyperventilate and im worried that his throat is going to get sore. So we take him out and let him calm down and sit in the rocker and after about 15 minutes of that he falls asleep. I dont know what happened or how to fix it but he wont go to sleep before 11:00 pm now.

emilycox85

Asked by emilycox85 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he takes a nap during the day, try making that shorter and/or sooner. My daughter is 2 and likes to fight bedtime some nights, mostly because she doesn't want to give up on playing.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Keep trying! Be consistent! He's testing you with all he has! Toddlers are great manipulators and know how to get what they want. Keep putting him in his crib.. If it helps to keep him calm, stay in the room with him. When you put him to bed tell it that it's time to sleep. Sit in a chair or on the floor where he can see you but keep your head down and do NOT look or talk to him NO MATTER what he tries! If he can get out of his crib pick him up and put him back but do not talk to him.. it may take a few weeks for him to understand and it will be VERY hard but in the long run it will be much better than having a little one control when YOU go to bed because you have to keep an eye on him. Start a bedtime routine. With my 17mo DS we bring him into our bedroom an hour and a half before he goes to bed. We watch TV and let him play, and play with him. He brings books to us to read. About 30 min before it's time to sleep, (cont..)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• he gets a bottle of warm milk. About 10 min before time to sleep we let him know it's almost "nigh nigh" time. We change his diaper and get him in his jammies. We read just one more story then give kisses and hugs. We put him in his crib, cover him up, have his toys (3 of them) give him kisses too. Then I rub his head and tell him how much I love him and that I can't wait to see him in the morning. Then I leave the room, close the door and that's the end of that! He doesn't always fall asleep right away (sometimes it takes him an hour!) but he plays quietly by himself... making glowworm light up and play music.. Then when he's ready to fall asleep he does. But he knows that nigh nigh time means he stays quiet and goes to sleep. It took a few weeks to get the schedule down but once you do it makes life soooo much easier!!! GL!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:16 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• It is ok to parent your child to sleep rather than putting him to sleep if that's what he needs right now. Sometimes it just goes that way, a child that was previously excellent at going down for the night suddenly needs a bit more comfort to go to sleep. It could be that he is developed a bit of separation anxiety because he knows you are leaving the room (it can hit out of the blue like that). Mine did something similar to this recently after being sick. What helped me: I would rock him until he got almost asleep then stay by his crib with just my hand on his back until he feel asleep, I slowly cut out the rocking and changed to just laying him down and putting my hand on his back. Then the hand was just if he fussed. By doing that sort of thing gradually (took more than a month) I am now back to being able to just lay him down and leave the room more and more. Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2010