how can i get my newborn to latch onto my breast? he's 8 days old.....so happy!!!!

I WANT TO BREAST FEED SOO BAD.. HE ONLY LATCHED ON TWICE...NOW HE ONLY WANTS HIS BOTTLE

graciause

Asked by graciause at 11:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Congrats on the new baby! It's great that you want to breastfeed too :)
    Sit in a position where you are comfy and use pillows to help you prop the baby up if you need to. Make sure you get his mouth open wide so he gets the whole nipple and a lot of the areola in his mouth when he closes his mouth to latch on. You can try different positions til you find one that's comfy for you (in the beginning, sometimes a football hold is the easiest way).
    I know you don't want him to go hungry, but giving bottles may make it harder for him to latch on to the breast.
    If you call La Leche League and ask for help, they can talk you through it, and some Leaders are even able to meet with you in person to help get you started out. 1-877-4-LA-LECHE is the main help line phone number (it's 24 hours a day), and they can put you in touch with someone close to you if you want to have help in person.
    Good luck!!!
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Here is a link for the La Leche League website, and it has lots of info about getting started and latching on.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBlatch.html
    Anonymous

• Stop giving him the bottle. You'll give him nipple confusion. If you are worried your baby is going hungry, feed him with a syringe (like the kind you give cold medicine with), an eye dropper, or even a spoon. Get in touch with a lactation consultant. The way that I got the best latch was to hold baby to my breast and put my nipple up to his mouth. Don't let him latch until he opens his mouth really wide. Then pull baby close and get as much of your areola in his mouth as possible.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Get rid of the bottles. You've got a case of nipple preference/confusion. Like the previous poster suggested you can use and eyedropper, small cup, or spoon. Get rid of the bottles.  No pacifiers eitehr.        Read these: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html          and also   http://www.drjacknewman.com/

Finally, join the breastfeedign moms group here at cafemom.  Ditto to the lactation consultant (the sooner the better).    You can do it!  You just need help.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Toss the bottle sNOW. Drop by the breastfeeding moms group.

This is VERY fixable...mine wouldn't latch for two solid weeks. Nursed to 26 months. The only thing that's not fixable is death or dismemberment, OK?

Answer by gdiamante at 5:41 PM on Feb. 1, 2010