Extreme heartburn

i keep having awful heartburn im 37 weeks and its never been this bad. I can take three Tums and it does nothing take more still not better. every time my baby moves its there. any ideas why? is it cause im getting close to labor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When my third pregnancy began I had severe heart burn (guess what mine then was from overeating even then!!!!!!!! lol huh) and it was so severe I had an irregular heartbeat too connected with it. My ob told me to drink a lot of water to dilute the heartburn after getting it asap plus to also drink water during the day and evening to keep it diulted. Of course drink milk too, calcium's important when pregnant.

That worked, the water. Plus I found drinking ginger ale periodically helped me to burp which eased my heartburn as I got bigger in my pregnancy.

Hope you feel better!!!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• baby is pushing on your stomach, causing acids to churn up. i had reflux and heartburn real bad too. Try taking a pepcid chewable, they are not as chalky as tums and work really well.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I had EXTREME heartburn with my pregnancy. It started at about 34 weeks and by 36 weeks I was unable to eat or drink anything, including water, without being in severe pain. I lived on Tums and Zantac, but even that stopped working pretty quickly (and had some pretty nasty side effects - my stomach stopped digesting food almost entirely for several weeks). I mentioned it to my doctor and that plus my sudden high blood pressure caused them to admit me immediately, because they were concerned that the HB pain was actually my liver, and that I had an issue with liver functioning. I would talk to your dr about it - my issue didn't turn out to be my liver, but my gallbladder. But it is still something you ought to have checked out.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 12:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• old trick... glass of water with a spponful of baken soda..stir well and drink.. it makes u have a good big burp and helps releave the heartburn..works for everyone i know..hope it helps u.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• chocolate always does it to me, even when i'm not pregnant, ever since my 1st. check what your eating...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Your baby is pushing on you stomach causing acids to go up your esophagus! Baking soda and water! It works wonders!
    angietomas91

Answer by angietomas91 at 4:27 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Papaya enzyme - just be sure to get one without pineapple

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I'm not that far along yet and this is my first pregnancy but I have really bad heartburn, I found drinking a glass of milk really helps....I was joking with my friend that it calmed the fire, and make sure you sit up, i found laying down makes it tens time worse.
    blueangel916

Answer by blueangel916 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 1, 2010