Why is it the 2 weeks after you gave birth the most fertile?

I have heard this stated MANY times. Just wondering the scientific reason...don't feel like google.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's not necessarily.... especially if you're bf'ing. If you're bf'ing exclusively, you may not be fertile again for a LONG time! Took me ten months to get a period again after one of my kids! I think people say this to highlight the fact that, if you're not bf'ing, your fertility will return to normal pretty quickly after giving birth. So yes, it's possible to get pg again the first time you ovulate, which could be only a couple weeks after the birth. I did know someone who went to her six week pp checkup only to find she was pregnant again, so it can happen, but it's not necessarily so under all circumstances!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:03 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• i have read, and believe, that it is a myth! it is certainly possible to get pregnant in those 2 weeks. but you are not more fertile during those 2 weeks. most people would not ovulate during that time at all. it's probalby just that the few who do ovulate, don't think they will, and so don't use any kind of pregnancy prevention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• this makes no sense at all, unless those that never breast feed start their periods one month after giving birth.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 1, 2010