My 5 yrs old son has fever

my son is sick with fever, cough and lower back pains and throwing up? What do I do?

beautiful2257

Asked by beautiful2257 at 12:05 AM on Feb. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give him motrin. If that doesnt work I would take him to the ER....Well how high is his temp????
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:07 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• hmm I think but I'm not positive that maybe lower back pain could be kidney infection. Call your e r and ask, or take him in. How high is his temp how long as he been sick, how long has he had a lower back ache? You need to tell all that to your on call ped or e r. If either of them say take him in, I'd do it. Hope he feels better!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• His fever is 101.3
    beautiful2257

Answer by beautiful2257 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• the lower back pain lasted only a minute but he has been sick for 2 days now
    beautiful2257

Answer by beautiful2257 at 12:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• As long as he's hydrated b/w vomits, it should be okay. Might follow w/ diarrhea though so be aware. Is he totally listless? Will he engage with you or talk to you or sit up? The biggest thing is hydration. Keep an eye on the back pain thing, you can call the nurse line on that one but it sounds like a virus.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:36 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I would just keep a eye on him. BRAT diet and water or gatorade.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:21 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• A temp of 101 isn't a big deal and being sick for a couple of days isn't worrisome either. Just get him to drink as much as you can, try giving small amounts of pedialyte every 15 mins.
    Is he throwing up because of his cough or because of an upset stomach?
    I would go to the doctor if.... he has trouble breathing, is dehydrated (not peeing, no tears), has a fever over 101 for 4 days, or becomes lethargic.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:58 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I would give him some childeren tylenol and give him , then take him to the doctors. if the fever gets too high or can't get it uncontrol, take him to the hospital.
    sweetheart1207

Answer by sweetheart1207 at 2:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I can call my Dr office and talk to the nurse and tell her what is going on then she either talks to the doctor and calls me back or tells me right then and there what I need to do.... If you have a family doctor call and talk to a nurse, they might want to see him or they might tell you what you need to do and look out for.. Personally for my child whenever he runs a fever I take him to the doctor, I would rather be safe then sorry... gl
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• if it makes you feel better call your peds nurse, but personally, his fever is not high to cause concern. I wouldn't even give him motrin unless his body aches are too bad. Bump up the fluids, chicken soup, vit C and D3. A spoonful of honey for the cough.
    Anonymous